Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my Keynote widget create with IBA is not working the same way on my iPad than on my Mac?

Hi,

I made a keynote. It's working perfectly on my Mac (timing, animation, links, etc).

I made a widget with it on IBA.

But, when I preview my book on my iPad, the keynote widget works differently. The timing is not the same, the links are not working correctly, etc.

I have OSX Yosemite 10.10.2, IOS 8.3, iBooks Author 2.2 and iBooks 4.2.

Help!

Tx

Steeve

iBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), IBookAuthor 2.2, iOS 8.3, iBook 4.2

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:06 AM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tx Tom, i tried that, but I had the same issue :-(

Today, one of my old keynote widget was working perfectly on my iPad (Move, Links, Delay, etc.), inside my last ibook. I just changed a typo in the text, and suddenly, many things were not working anymore on the iPad. It looks like that the new Keynote version creates the problem...

Difficult to create an iBook with that issue :-(

Steeve

Sep 18, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Steeve1200

Hi All,

This Keynote-iBooks integration issue has been slowly destroying the book we released last year. Imagine releasing a book, trying to maintain a customer base, and watching your book get wrecked when Keynote stops working after fixing a typo (as described by one user on this thread, which also happened to us).

Today I upgraded to iOS 9 on my iPad and suddenly Keynotes that were appearing as blank previously started working. I can't guarantee this solution is universally robust.

I also came across this Apple page, that suggests if you use Inspector to select "Plays on page" versus "Plays full-screen", you may also have incompatibility with older versions of iBooks:

iBooks Author: Add a Keynote file

Good luck everyone - would love to see additional insights on this thread. Failed Keynotes on an already-released book are an existential threat to the book and brand.

Cheers,

earlgrayboba

Sep 18, 2015 10:40 PM in response to Steeve1200

you've come to the right guy now. i am the self-proclaimed king of the keynote widget issues.

well, only in my own mind.

you should go back and read some of my posts concerning keynote and iba, but let me summarize.

1. it would help to know the version of keynote you are using. i will assume v6.5.3. when it was released, it had many problems with iba, i don't use timings, but i do use animations, links, audio. the native keynote always worked, but once dropped into a widget, problems appeared. here are my specific problems roughly in the order i encountered them.

a. i could no longer drag and drop a v6.5.3 keynote into a widget. i contacted support back in nov 2014 and pretty much they did not help. i decided to abandon v6.5.3 and continue development with v5.3, aka Keynote 09. in july as i was about 90% done, i tried it again as i didn't want to send a book to the store that was based on old software. same problem but this time just by chance i stumpled upon a workaround. i eventually notified an apple level 2 guy. the work around is to have the keynote file open when you drag and drop it into the widget. this has consistently failed for me, even yesterday. to my surprise though, i dragged and dropped one just moments ago and for the first time it worked, even though i did no upgrades. sometimes i think apple is updating the software and i don't know it. else, i hit a case where it worked even though i had too numerous to count previous failures.

b. if you loop an audio or video in keynote, it does not loop in the book. apple provided me with a workaround that worked fine. export the keynote to keynote 09 and use that exported version to drop into the widget. now, your problems might be solved with this, even though they are not this problem. my reasoning is that it sounds like you had it working in an older version, perhaps keynote 09 (v5.3), so it is not a stretch to think this would work. further, it shows that the keynote team and the iba team did not communicate well with each other when the new keynote came into being. i wouldn't be surprised that fancy features that i do not use no longer work.

c. once i installed the previous version of iOS (v8), i pretty much always got preview interrupted message, even though it had worked fine for years. others have reported it also. thanks to tom above (i think), i explored another way to do this. it took a bit to figure it out as he did not say exactly what to do, but with an internet search all the pieces fell into place. even though preview was interrupted, i could open the book on the iPad but it was in terrible shape in some but not all places. if you want explicit instructions on how to do this, reply so and i will provide.

d. forget about using gifs with looping to give the sense of animations. gifs just didn't work anymore whether i looped or not. i am a little hazy about my results at this point, but i believe it was that gifs were just thrown away when enounted by the iba to book process. bottom line, if you want to use a gif, convert it to a movie and then use it. i have previously discussed two ways to do this in other posts.

e. one note of caution for exporting to keynote 09 from within keynote v6.5.3. i have oodles of math type usage in my keynotes, originally created with keynote 09. if i try to update one in keynote v6.5.3, everything works well until you preview, either on the mac or on the iPad. i called the math type people on the previous monday, but they had not gotten back to me. lucky for me my final editing didn't involve these, but there were some new keynotes with math equations that i inserted into my soon to be released book, and the exported versions did not work. i had to choose between math type and looping in those occasions. a minor inconvenience for the couple of keynotes, but if this was a bigger issue it would have been a disaster.

i would like to try the new iOS and the newer iTunes. i am 10.10.4 on the mac and i think 10.10.5 is out, but as i posted earlier in another thread i'm scared to do so at this point. i jokingly said i was going to go out and buy a dedicated test system for new software (mac and iPad), but it was not really a joke.

the existential threat mentioned above is right on. there are other existential threats out there. i don't know which one will get me first. i hope that the export to keynote 09 works as well for you as it did for me, and that apple fixes this problem.

Why my Keynote widget create with IBA is not working the same way on my iPad than on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.