Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notify Windows Users of OD Password Expiration

I'm running an Xserve with Snow Leopard Server installed running Open Directory. Our client machines are Windows 7, which cannot integrate with the old domain standard used by Open Directory, so we use pGina as a credential provider. Users' passwords are set to expire every six months.

My problem comes when a user's password expires: there is no notification given before the password expires. When users go to the built-in "change password" website on the server, they are unable to change their passwords because they cannot log in with the expired password, and are basically locked out of the server.

How can I provide some kind of notification to users before their password expires? An email or something through pGina would be sufficient.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8), server

Posted on May 5, 2015 7:50 AM

3 replies

May 11, 2015 9:15 AM in response to LCanova

I am in the same situation, and the only solution I have been able to find was to create script that would do the arithmetic on password files to determine when you would want to send out the notification emails. I didn't really like this solution but after finding this post I've come to the realization I don't have a choice.

Have you found a better solution yet?

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8) Server

Notify Windows Users of OD Password Expiration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.