Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Safari Yosemite not playing videos!

OS X Yosemite

Version 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

This is my first time using the forums as I can't resolve this issue myself, I'm no computer expert. 😟

Problem:

1. I usually use sites such as Novamov, VideoWeed, Moveshare, Nowvideo, Vodlocker etc to catch up on TV shows that I have missed. For instance I wanted to watch Orphan Black from http://watchseries-online.ch/episode/orphan-black-s03e01 and it takes me to a site to watch it.
  2. I've used these before and never had any issue from them until 3 days ago when I went and none of the videos on any show on any of the websites would play. It would just be a black empty screen where the video would be with 0% constantly.
  3. (Also today I've noticed that youtube videos sometimes black out in the middle of them and still play the audio but not the video but that may be unrelated)

Things I've tried:

• I've tried using chrome from my Macbook too and I'm still having the same issue.
  • I tried going to exactly the same videos on my friend's laptop who was running Windows Firefox and the videos played fine on her computer.
  • I have tried uninstalling Flash Player and updating it to the most recent version and also Java.
  • There are no updates available for my software in the AppStore.
  • Videos on Facebook work.

Please help! Thank you! 🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 7:06 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 9:25 AM in response to hayleyheartline

1. System Preferences > Flash Player > Advanced > Delete All

Press the "Delete All" button under “Browsing Data and Settings”.

Install Adobe Flash Player.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Download it first.

The next step is important.

Click Safari in the menubar and select “Quit Safari”.

Follow the prompts and install it.

Restart computer. Relaunch Safari.

2. Allow Plug-ins

Safari > Preferences > Security

Internet Plug-ins > "Allow plug-ins"

Enable it.

3. Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and website data:

Press the “ Remove All Website Data” button.

4. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn those off and relaunch Safari.

Turn those on one by one and test.

May 6, 2015 7:28 AM in response to hayleyheartline

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear and again when you log in. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don’t do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Macbook Pro Safari Yosemite not playing videos!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.