Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FIOS Router and Time Capsule

I just moved to a new home an had FIOS installed for my internet. I have the newest Airport TC, which I was using previously for a few months with now issues, after some help from this forum. The FIOS router is set up but I can't figure out how to use the Apple TC. The FIOS router is at the hub in the basement with cat 6 running to each room. Can I plug the TC into any of those and set it up. Trying to use the TC keeps me off the internet. So I need some advise. I thought I read about this sort of thing here before but a search shows much older discussions. So right now my IMAC is plugged into the network and the wireless is working so I can go on the internet and stream movies to the TVs. But I need to be able to use the TC to back up my files. Any suggestions? The FIOS modem is a FIOS Quantum Gateway. I don't know if they all are or not.

Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), i7 Intel,16GB/1T + SSD /Airport TC

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:27 AM

8 replies

May 5, 2015 9:55 AM in response to tim01

Whenever you change modems, or Internet Service Providers, the Time Capsule will need to be Hard Reset to bring it back to its original factory default settings...... so that it can forget the settings that it was using on the "old" network and be reconfigured again to work on the "new" network.

To do that, power on the TC for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button on the back of the TC for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Resetting the network settings on the TC will not affect the stored data or existing backups on the TC hard disk in any way.

We don't know how the CAT 6 wiring is configured, so to first get the Time Capsule working correctly, you will need to connect it directly to the FIOS gateway. Connect a short, spare Ethernet cable....any length will do from one of the LAN <--> ports on the FIOS gateway to the WAN "O" port on the TC.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station.

Just below that, click directly on Time Capsule. The example below shows an AirPort Extreme, but you will see Time Capsule on your screen.

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running, and it will take a minute to analyze the settings, and then display a window that looks like this:

User uploaded file

Type in a name for the wireless network that the TC will use. That network can be turned off later if you do not want to use the TC wireless.

Type in a device name for the TC. You can use the same name that you used before if you wish

Type in a password that will be used for both the wireless and the base station device

Type in the same password to verify

Click Next

The wizard will automatically set up everything for you. A green light on the TC confirms that the device has been setup correctly.

Leave the TC in its temporary location near the FIOS gateway until you have confirmed that backups are running again smoothly.

Once you have confirmed that backups are working, then you can move the TC to a remote location and connect the CAT 6 cable to the WAN port on the TC and, if your cabling is installed correctly, the TC will work at the new location.

If you do not need the wireless network that the TC is providing and you want to turn it off, and use the TC only was a wired back up hard drive, post back for more instructions.

On the other hand, depending on where you locate the TC, it might provide a stronger and faster signal than the FIOS gateway, so you might elect to use the TC wireless in one area of the house and FIOS in another.

May 14, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok Bob, I plugged in my Airport TC then used a pen to do the hard reset. I did that three times. I plugged into the lan and did find "Airport Time Capsule" under the WiFi icon at the top of the screen. When I click on it and go to Airport Utility I get an error message:

User uploaded file

I've tried this a number of times but with no success. I hate to think I can't do my backups.

Tim

May 14, 2015 1:30 PM in response to tim01

Unfortunately, Yosemite has a number of networking bugs, which are causing the issues that you see.

First try powering off the Time Capsule, waiting a minute, then starting it back up again. At the same time, restart your Mac again.

See if the Mac can proceed with the setup.

If you happen to have an iPhone or iPad handy, that device will often work better than a Mac running Yosemite as far as setting things up. Let us know if you have one handy, so we give that a try.

May 14, 2015 3:29 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob,

I had turned off the TC prior to sending the last message. I plugged it back in to use my IPAD to work on the settings, but was able to get into it on the IMAC. I fumbled around until I had the network name that the TC recognized. I had to use the TC name that I had used before in order for the Mac to recognize the TC. The Airport Utility has it set up as "off (Bridge Mode)." I thought it would just be a backup disk. The TC is backing up now. Backing up about 5 Gigs. It did the first Gig in about 5 minutes, so it should not take long. Used to take much longer. Don't understand all the TC settings in the Airport Utility, but it works.

Thanks Again Bob

FIOS Router and Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.