Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find the original RAW files when it changes to jpg in PS5?

I am a new aperture user. (I know, its PHOTOS now). How can I find original RAW files? When I drag the RAW files from Aperture to PS5, they change into jpgs! Likewise, when I drag the raw files to a folder, they are jpgs.

I have imported both jpg and Raw as originals.

Just need to find the original RAW files.

Thanks,

Britain

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:11 AM

If I understand you correctly...

If you drag the preview image out of Aperture - you are doing just that - dragging a preview generated by Aperture and it will be a JPEG file

If you want the original RAW file then select it in the viewer window and then select the menu:

File > Export > Original

Welcome to Aperture and hope this helped

Brian

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Isabella Britain Hill

If I understand you correctly...

If you drag the preview image out of Aperture - you are doing just that - dragging a preview generated by Aperture and it will be a JPEG file

If you want the original RAW file then select it in the viewer window and then select the menu:

File > Export > Original

Welcome to Aperture and hope this helped

Brian

May 5, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Isabella Britain Hill

I think this will work!

I wondered about downloading from card to a folder on my HD. Then importing the contents of folder into aperture.

It seems like it would be easier to manage files and their changes in one folder.

But at an apple store, they told me to just import from card to Aperture, but I feel that way that I'm out of control!

What do you do when importing?

Thank you very much!

Britain

May 5, 2015 10:25 AM in response to Isabella Britain Hill

I am a new aperture user. (I know, its PHOTOS now).

Photos is a complete new application, and it is no way a replacement for Aperture. There is no replacement for Aperture by Apple.

Are you still using Aperture or are you using Photos now?

I have imported both jpg and Raw as originals.

Just need to find the original RAW files.

If you imported RAW&JPEG pairs, you have to select which of both files you are using as the original image file.

If you enable badge overlays, you can tell by the framed J or R badge overlay, if you are using the RAW or JPEG as original.

User uploaded file

To be able to see and export the RAW files, select your photo and go to the "Photos" menu. Enable "Use RAW as original":

Then you will be able to export the original RAW file using "File > Export".

May 5, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Isabella Britain Hill

I will change my prefs as in aperture, I selected both jpg and RAW to be used as originals.

You can import both to Aperture, but only one will be used as the original at a a time, either the JPEG or the RAW. You can decide for each photo individually, which of the pair is currently to be used as the original, and that setting in the Photos menu will decide which one will be exported when you use "File > Export > Original".

May 5, 2015 5:43 PM in response to Isabella Britain Hill

Isabella Britain Hill wrote:

I wondered about downloading from card to a folder on my HD. Then importing the contents of folder into aperture.

It seems like it would be easier to manage files and their changes in one folder.

But at an apple store, they told me to just import from card to Aperture, but I feel that way that I'm out of control!

What do you do when importing?

What the apple store told you is company mantra. Most of the folks there would have no idea why you might want to be able to access your images directly.

What you suggest about putting images in folders on your HD is exactly what I decided to do back in the days that people who relied on iPhoto Libraries were losing images and losing control of the location of their images.

Since that time my images go from memory card to a folder in a place where I know where it is! I then import them into Aperture as 'Managed' images. That Library is on another drive so I end up with 2 copies of each image on separate drives simply by doing that. In my workflow I have a way to further ensure that I will have a backup if something happens to the 2 copies I alluded to earlier.

Further, I NEVER let software delete images from a memory card. When I have assured myself that the images were correctly saved the card is then reformatted in the camera.

To your original question - If you set PS5 as your 'External Photo Editor' you can open any selected image in your Library simply by going to the 'Photos" dropdown in the Aperture menu bar. You can also right click any image to open it in PS5.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

May 6, 2015 6:22 AM in response to Isabella Britain Hill

Isabella Britain Hill wrote:

Jerry,

Thanks! This addresses what I was asking exactly. I now have some folders of images on my HD and some downloaded into aperture directly from card. Would you have a suggestion as to organizing the 2 types of image collection?

I feel pretty dumb.

Britain

Britain,

I don't think you need to feel dumb! You're just in learning phase.

The beauty of Aperture is that IT WILL manage your images whether RAW or JPG.

I shoot only RAW except in a very, very few instances (iPhone/point and shoot). I import only RAW to Aperture. Aperture manages the RAW images and ALL versions I produce FROM that RAW image in its Library. There is no need to maintain 2 separate folders with differently formatted files. Hope that explains that. Let me know if not.

Aperture has very powerful filtering capabilities.

Look for this icon to bring up the filter panel. There you can search/filter by file type, date, etc.User uploaded file

Had to look hard for it, but here is the latest Aperture manual.

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1560/en_US/Aperture_3_User_Manual. pdf

I don't know if the experts who used to frequent this forum still monitor it. They may have moved to the Photos forum.

Good luck,

Jerry

How do I find the original RAW files when it changes to jpg in PS5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.