Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing word suggestions from Autocorrect?

I have a problem with my Apple Keyboard Dictionary in which any time I type the word "dad" (in reference to my father), Autocorrect tries to substitute "big daddy". This is a recent phenomenon which started when I upgraded to iOS 8.3 on my iPad Air. I tried killing it by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary, and not only did it not work, but I had the exact same problem at the top of this post while typing it. "Big Daddy" is not a term I use in the manner in which I speak or write, so this isn't something that my user habits created.

So it seems pretty certain to me that this little "gem" (I call it a pain in the ***) got inserted into the update by someone at Apple with an obnoxious sense of humor. My question is this: Is there a way for a user to delete specific terms from the Keyboard Dictionary, or am I looking in the wrong place? An help is appreciated.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:22 AM

13 replies

Sep 23, 2017 8:21 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

First of all, Hilarious post! Secondly, I had a similar issue and finally found a workable solution. My name is Eric, an every time I signed an email, Eric would change to Éric. I tried typing and rejecting the change dozens of times, but iOS never learned. Finally, I let it make the change, then selected "Éric", pressed the 'Replace...' pop-up button, and replaced with "Eric". Now iOS seems to understand that I'm not French.

Nov 10, 2017 11:51 AM in response to whamprod

I had a similar issue. “i” autocorrected to A and a question mark. That keyboard shortcut was not in my list of keyboard shortcuts. My work around: create a keyboard shortcut where “i” = “I”. So in your case, if the keyboard shortcut wasn’t there and it was someone at Apple with a sense of humor, you could create a keyboard shortcut where “dad” = “dad”.

Nov 10, 2017 11:54 AM in response to Hagerj

Hagerj wrote:

I had a similar issue. “i” autocorrected to A and a question mark. That keyboard shortcut was not in my list of keyboard shortcuts. My work around: create a keyboard shortcut where “i” = “I”. So in your case, if the keyboard shortcut wasn’t there and it was someone at Apple with a sense of humor, you could create a keyboard shortcut where “dad” = “dad”.

This was a bug in iOS 11. It has been corrected in iOS 11.1.1.

Removing word suggestions from Autocorrect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.