Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2009) Needs Upgrade

My sister-in-law has a MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009 model laptop. She currently has 160GB SATA Disk that is full to capacity. I've suggested she replace it with a larger drive and have found instructions on how to do so...

My question: What is the largest drive she can use? I have read TBs work but others say the can run too hot so slower/smaller drives work best. She doesn't need a TB I was looking at 500 or 750? I read somewhere 500 was max suggested.

Her specs are as follows:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)

2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Running current version of Yosemite

I am also planning on upgrading her ram to 8GB

Can anyone please recommend the best items to use for replacement? I want to make sure when I'm done she has a faster more capacity laptop , but one that will be fully compatible with her system.

Thanking you in advance for your advice!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:53 AM

There is no size limit, any Sata drive that is 2.5" will fit, so up to 2TB can be fitted (currently)

If you want fast choose an SSD.

20 replies

May 5, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Csound1

Ok, thanks for that explanation. I'm also planning on upgrading her RAM thinking that's going to help her speed. Right now she's saying it takes at least 3 mins to boot up and of course once she does it's like walking through molasses to open any files/programs, etc.

If money is no object do you think the Crucial is better than the Seagate? (I realize it's apples to oranges, I'm just trying to find the best option that I can install easily and one that will be the most compatible with her 6-year old computer.)

She's a teacher and uses the office suite most, but also a mother so has TONS of photos and videos.

And thank you again for your time.

May 5, 2015 9:23 AM in response to pamelyn

Adding Ram will not make her Mac faster, unless there is a serious shortage (less than 4) but the SSD will have a significant effect on speed. I am typing this on a Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13", it has 8GB of Ram fitted and a Crucial MX200 SSD. It's fast.

Modern SSD's will not operate at their maximum speed in a 2009 Macbook Pro, but they are still much faster than any HDD you can fit (the Seagate is a hybrid of SSD and HDD tech in one box), faster than a standard hard drive but nowhere near SSD speeds.

If the money is there buy the SSD, and add Ram as well, if you only choose one, buy the SSD.

May 5, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Csound1

I'm definitely adding Ram she currently has 2. I was going to give her 8. It's pretty cheap now and figure $56 for 8 vs $35 for 4 is worth the extra bucks.

Looking at both the drive (and getting the SSD even) and RAM she's still only looking at $300 to significantly improve her computer... which is a much less expensive route than buying a new one at $1200...

So the Crucial MX200 SSD works well in your MBP? I seem to be finding them at pretty much the same price all over. Looking at the 500GB as the 1TB is twice the price.

May 5, 2015 9:58 AM in response to pamelyn

Everything needed (except for screwdrivers) is in the box with the SSD.

You will need a teensy Philips screwdriver for the bottom of the case (take care, fragile screws here) and a Torx T6 for the drive retaining screws, take your time, it is easy but fiddly.

How do you intend transferring the content of the old drive to the new drive?

One other thing, I would also replace the Sata cable inside the Mac, an 09 is old, old cables with newer faster drives don't always work so add $35 for a new cable. You have to open the Mac o change drives, while you're there change the cable as well.

May 5, 2015 9:56 AM in response to pamelyn

pamelyn wrote:

So the Crucial MX200 SSD works well in your MBP? I seem to be finding them at pretty much the same price all over. Looking at the 500GB as the 1TB is twice the price.

I have used Crucial and Samsung SSD's (the 840 Pro), I find little to choose between them, SSD's are limited by the connection method as far as max speed goes, the best ones are faster than the bus that connects them.

I chose the 1TB drives from Crucial and Samsung.

May 5, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Csound1

that is going to be the big question. I have a 4tb external that has room I could copy her items over and move them back... I also have a 100MB Porche drive I could clear off and copy her entire system to (minus some files we'd have to off load first)

Would a Time Machine back up work with Migrations Assistant?

And Do you have any suggestions/recommendations?

And can you direct me to this SATA cable? At least a picture. I searched one site and got "adapters"

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2009) Needs Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.