Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My HDD freezes when I power on mac mini.

I have Mac mini 2012 (late) with core i7 2.3 GHz, 8 GB of modified (Hynix) RAM, addtional SSD, installed using iFixIt Dual Hard Drive Kit and HDD for 1 TB.

SSD and HDD does not set up to work as FusionDrive, I use them as separated volumes. OS X (10.10.4) and all apps installed on SSD, and HDD for data and other stuff.

I having this problem with HDD for the last few weeks. When I turn on my mac, system loading as normal, but if I try to open HDD volume, it just doesn't opens and in right bottom corner of Finder window I observing this spinning wheel showing that loading is still going on. I can't open any file stored on HDD. This condition could last for 5-10 minutes, and it could start againg after a while.

I think my HDD is going to die, so is there any way to test it for working ability? Or could it be some problems with OS? What could it be?

Mac mini

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:14 AM

5 replies

May 5, 2015 1:30 PM in response to lllaass

About RAM - I meant I replaced original 4 GB RAM with 8 GB RAM, obviously I put it inaccurately.

About repairing HDD through DiskUtility - when I try to repair it then it says that its impossible to repair volume using Disk Utility, and try to format this volume or something. I don't remember what exactly was said. About S.M.A.R.T - in System Info it says S.M.A.R.T verified.

My HDD freezes when I power on mac mini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.