Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An almost brand new mid (4 battery cycles) 2012 Retina MBP - is this obsolete? I am not a power user, and it's a really good deal.

I am thinking of purchasing a mid 2012 Retina MBP 16gb/2.6/512. Four battery cycles, not a scuff or nick - it's in brand new condition for $1599.00. I am not a power user - mainly web browsing, word processing, email, and some light graphics for making flyer for work. I watch movies a lot, and am going to get an external monitor and keyboard (likely Thunderbolt display) for home use.

This seems like a good deal to me. Though, it won't have PCl storage, and only 1gb for graphics, or Wifi ac standard. But, it gets me into Apple Nation (currently using a dog of an HP) at a reasonable price.

Would any of you consider this purchase, or are the new improvements so compelling, that they make this one obsolete?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 11:26 AM

Depending on details not stated in your post, that may or may not be a fair deal.

Does the computer have any warranty or recourse should it fail within 90+ days?

What display size does the computer model have? A 15-inch model or 13-inch?

Are all of the originally included items from Apple, including retail box, accessories

& documents all still with it? Does it have a SSD or a HDD kind of storage drive?

Did the owner upgrade the OS X and leave it with a tie-in to their AppleID? Or was

it re-set to the original OS, and set to start up as a new computer, without any

personal information inside?

And depending on your location (global) there may or may not be other options.

If that is a 15-inch MacBook Pro, some of them shipped with quad-core processors.

Others with a dual-graphics channel or auto-switching GPUs, had some issues, so

if that is among those units, I'd do research to be sure it's not a problem. Not sure

how far you'd have to go, or where to look, for that kind of information.

To learn more about it, via serial number, may help; if you used a lookup service

to see what it was when it left factory, etc. The exact specs, etc.

The Apple Store online still listed a 13-inch MacBook Pro without Retina display, new

that was a build series from 2012 in current production. It has a SuperDrive, and it

could be upgraded to more RAM than its shipped configuration by the user. Those

are a fair item if you need that configuration. They occasionally have a few in their

online refurbished store, but mostly retina-display models that can't be upgraded.

Not sure if this helps, but I'd look into what one can get for $1600. elsewhere, too.🙂

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 11:26 AM in response to shemsuddin

Depending on details not stated in your post, that may or may not be a fair deal.

Does the computer have any warranty or recourse should it fail within 90+ days?

What display size does the computer model have? A 15-inch model or 13-inch?

Are all of the originally included items from Apple, including retail box, accessories

& documents all still with it? Does it have a SSD or a HDD kind of storage drive?

Did the owner upgrade the OS X and leave it with a tie-in to their AppleID? Or was

it re-set to the original OS, and set to start up as a new computer, without any

personal information inside?

And depending on your location (global) there may or may not be other options.

If that is a 15-inch MacBook Pro, some of them shipped with quad-core processors.

Others with a dual-graphics channel or auto-switching GPUs, had some issues, so

if that is among those units, I'd do research to be sure it's not a problem. Not sure

how far you'd have to go, or where to look, for that kind of information.

To learn more about it, via serial number, may help; if you used a lookup service

to see what it was when it left factory, etc. The exact specs, etc.

The Apple Store online still listed a 13-inch MacBook Pro without Retina display, new

that was a build series from 2012 in current production. It has a SuperDrive, and it

could be upgraded to more RAM than its shipped configuration by the user. Those

are a fair item if you need that configuration. They occasionally have a few in their

online refurbished store, but mostly retina-display models that can't be upgraded.

Not sure if this helps, but I'd look into what one can get for $1600. elsewhere, too.🙂

May 5, 2015 12:19 PM in response to shemsuddin

Look on ebay for comparable models to determine where the market price is.

4 cycles on the battery is not necessarily a good sign. A lithium battery needs some 'exercise' to achieve it maximum useful life. The 15" model was discontinued in October of 2013, therefore if it is the original battery, by not using it frequently enough, it life span will be shortened.

Ciao.

May 6, 2015 8:08 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

In general terms, since the author of this thread appears to have seen the

specs on the product in question, and I had not ahead of the posting of this

thread here, I was only using what I already knew of the history of MB/Pro.

My four portable Apple computer products aren't anywhere near that new...

But considered a quad-core MacBook Pro, instead bought a quad-core Mini i7.

Not that I really need to use a newer OS X, since future-proofing is a myth.😝

An almost brand new mid (4 battery cycles) 2012 Retina MBP - is this obsolete? I am not a power user, and it's a really good deal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.