Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't repair the disk

So I recently placed a hard drive into an enclosure because my external hard drive's case was broken..( the USB part). After I plugged it into my laptop, I ended up getting the message "This disk is not readable by this computer" with the options of initialize, ignore, eject. I read other answers to my similar problem & they said to repair it....I went into disk utility to repair the disk, but those options are not available. Anybody know why? or Suggest any help for me?

I wanted to get some files off of the hard drive. And also, is it possible to continue using the hard drive? It was my back up drive.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:50 AM

There may be a requirement within the new replacement enclosure, for jumpers on the HDD to be set.

Some do not require that for them to be used, but others do. Some have no jumper pins at all, though.

I'd try a 'universal USB drive kit' that includes a cable and an external power supply, those attach to a

bare hard drive and allow you to see if it can be accessed. From there, you may or may not be able

to find out if you could use the hard drive or if it was also toast. This usually is a better way to find out.

So I'm guessing the new enclosure is not able to see the old hard drive you put into it. Not sure why.😐

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 9:50 AM in response to justxellen

There may be a requirement within the new replacement enclosure, for jumpers on the HDD to be set.

Some do not require that for them to be used, but others do. Some have no jumper pins at all, though.

I'd try a 'universal USB drive kit' that includes a cable and an external power supply, those attach to a

bare hard drive and allow you to see if it can be accessed. From there, you may or may not be able

to find out if you could use the hard drive or if it was also toast. This usually is a better way to find out.

So I'm guessing the new enclosure is not able to see the old hard drive you put into it. Not sure why.😐

I can't repair the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.