Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time capsule is Wi-Fi but I also want ethernet connectivity for better speeds. How do I do this?

My time capsule was originally set up for Wi-Fi. I want to connect my Mac to my time capsule via Ethernet cable to get better download speeds.

When I connect by Ethernet cable, I cannot access the internet nor does my mail connect.

Any suggestions?

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:26 PM

It sounds like you may have set up your Time Capsule to "join" an existing wireless network. If that is the case, the Time Capsule will only perform as a wireless hard drive, and it will have no routing ability at all.

That is why the Ethernet ports are not working. They are not enabled when you configure the Time Capsule to "join" a wireless network.

If you want to enable the Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule, you will have to Hard Reset the Time Capsule to get it back to original factory default settings and then set it up again.

The critical element here is that the Time Capsule must connect to your modem or modem/router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection. Connect from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule......just like you see in the Setup Guide....... and then set up the Time Capsule again.

If you need help with this, we need to know what operating system that you are using on the computer that you use to administer the Time Capsule.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 8:26 PM in response to Fraudguy

It sounds like you may have set up your Time Capsule to "join" an existing wireless network. If that is the case, the Time Capsule will only perform as a wireless hard drive, and it will have no routing ability at all.

That is why the Ethernet ports are not working. They are not enabled when you configure the Time Capsule to "join" a wireless network.

If you want to enable the Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule, you will have to Hard Reset the Time Capsule to get it back to original factory default settings and then set it up again.

The critical element here is that the Time Capsule must connect to your modem or modem/router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection. Connect from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule......just like you see in the Setup Guide....... and then set up the Time Capsule again.

If you need help with this, we need to know what operating system that you are using on the computer that you use to administer the Time Capsule.

My time capsule is Wi-Fi but I also want ethernet connectivity for better speeds. How do I do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.