Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi airport network services disabled

I have a macbook air bought in 2014. Last week my friend tried to disconnect the WiFi but she ended up disabled the WiFi interface in the network preference and clicked the "-" button. Hence, no WiFi can be detected. I've tried all of the following with reboots following each approach, but still failed to add WiFi back.

1.clicked "+" button in the network preference but no WiFi interface shows up.(only Bluetooth and thunderbolt bridge are there, as well as pppoe, clan)

2.added a new location in the network preference and deleted the "automated". No WiFi showed up in the "+" menu.

3. Added another administrative user.

4. Formatted and installed osx 10.10.3. Still the same.

5. Reset smc

6. Reset param

7. Kext utility repair

8. Kext utility replaced with a healthy macobook pro io80211family.kext

8. Terminal command: ”ifconfig -a" found en0 inactivated.

9. "Sudo ifconfig en0 up" and "Sudo ifconfig en0 down" and combinations. Nothing happened.

10."networksetup -setairportpower en0 on" or "off". Shows that airport networke services are disabled.

11. " network set up -get airport power en0" shows that it's "off(forced)"

12. Formatted and installed a Linux distro still no WiFi hardware detected.

Is there a way to force enable the airport network services? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, Other OS

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:13 PM

In some cases, this issue is caused by a hardware fault. A loose connection, a short circuit, or a microscopic break in a solder joint may open and close depending on temperature, making the failure intermittent.

Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Turn off Bluetooth. If you have a desktop Mac, you'll need a wired keyboard and mouse to take this step. Those are useful to have anyway, because Bluetooth is not completely reliable. If Wi-Fi works with Bluetooth turned off but not when you turn it back on, delete all pairings in the Bluetooth preference pane and recreate them. Restart the computer and test again.

2.. There are a few reports that the problem was solved by unchecking the box marked

Wake for Wi-Fi network access

in the Power Adapter tab of the Energy Saver preference pane. I can't confirm.

3. Reset the NVRAM.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. Start up in Recovery mode. In the menu bar of the OS X Utilities screen, there's a Wi-Fi menu. Try to connect.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 10:13 PM in response to clfhhc

In some cases, this issue is caused by a hardware fault. A loose connection, a short circuit, or a microscopic break in a solder joint may open and close depending on temperature, making the failure intermittent.

Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Turn off Bluetooth. If you have a desktop Mac, you'll need a wired keyboard and mouse to take this step. Those are useful to have anyway, because Bluetooth is not completely reliable. If Wi-Fi works with Bluetooth turned off but not when you turn it back on, delete all pairings in the Bluetooth preference pane and recreate them. Restart the computer and test again.

2.. There are a few reports that the problem was solved by unchecking the box marked

Wake for Wi-Fi network access

in the Power Adapter tab of the Energy Saver preference pane. I can't confirm.

3. Reset the NVRAM.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. Start up in Recovery mode. In the menu bar of the OS X Utilities screen, there's a Wi-Fi menu. Try to connect.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

May 6, 2015 6:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc

Forgive the intrusion on this ticket, but my snag is related. However I write because I am unable to find another way of contacting you to express my appreciation for your expertise and clarity when suggesting fixes. I've noticed for some time now your comprehensive support across a variety of techie issues and consequently have formed the highest opinion for your knowledge and communication skills. I wish I could trace your commercial contacts (assuming you maintain one or more) because I would happily purchase your expertise when required. Not for the first time, today you have helped me determine the causes of a MacBook Pro crashing. Many thanks -

WiFi airport network services disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.