Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up folders / files to iCloud

So, I have now upgraded my storage capacity and given that there are 25000 photo's to upload that should keep the Mac busy for a couple of weeks !

However I am struggling to understand how ( if its possible ) I can back up a folder or a file to iCloud that say contains a bunch of Microsoft word documents. I don't need the ability to to work on them across another iOS devices I just want to back them up to icloud and if possible get them rebacked up automatically if i amend one of this documents. Is this possible with with individual documents or folders ?

I have seen how you do it with Apple word docs or spreadsheets but this isn't what I need.

Any help appreciated

Darren

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:56 AM

iCloud is not a backup system, trying to use it as if it was will be a disappointment. Time Machine is Apples backup system.

11 replies

May 5, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Csound1

Ok thanks - but to clarify then, storing my photos in iCloud is a safe ( as much as any cloud storage option is ) option for backing up my photos in the cloud, appreciating the fact that I should also back up to a hard drive too?

I wanted to have a cloud back up and a hard drive backup. Otherwise the only thing i cloud is giving me is the ability to see the photos across multiple devices ?

Thanks

Darren

May 5, 2015 10:43 AM in response to darrenfromfakenham

darrenfromfakenham wrote:

On the basis I don't as yet have the external hard drive for time machine to work from, until that point iCloud is a method of backing up the photos in the cloud

No it is not, it is your photos, no other copy exists unless you backup. Don't take risks, an external drive for TM is less than $100, how much do you value your pictures, more or less than that?

May 5, 2015 11:55 PM in response to Csound1

This is clearly me not fully understanding this but can I ask we leave the issue of how to back up to one side for a moment, i.e. I know I am not doing it properly with a separate hard drive.

However when I read up about iCloud it infers that if I have sufficient storage capacity it will upload copies of all my photos into the cloud and hence make them available across all my devices. This is great as it also says it supports various different side types and sizes of files which give me a great degree of flexibility.

If however I need 260GB of space as it told me and its uploading 25000 photos which will take forever, i don't understand the answer of "No it is not, it is your photos, no other copy exists unless you backup."

If they are then not in the cloud then why does it need all of that space ?

If they are in the cloud then why if my MAC crashes can't I simply download them again from the cloud ?

Many thanks for your help and patience, as if it doesn't provide the opportunity to download the photos again after a crash then I might as well cancel the extra storage as I don't really need the basic ability to share photos across different devices.

Darren

May 6, 2015 6:03 AM in response to darrenfromfakenham

I do not know how to explain if you really are not understanding that iCloud is not a backup system, what you think iCloud 'infers' is not relevant. It was what it is, not what it is inferred.

I also never said that "they are not in the cloud" how you managed to get that is beyond me, and because of the deep misunderstandings here I am going to end my contribution to this thread. Good luck, maybe take an Apple One on One class.

May 6, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Csound1

Ok hopefully someone else may join in the conversation.

They were very simple questions that I made very clear and all i wanted was a simple answer with a simple explanation

Its when you said, I quote "no other copy exists unless you backup" then that clearly says that there is no other copy ( as I haven't backed up ) , if there is no other copy then they can't be in the cloud so I'm not sure why you think you never said it. There is no misunderstanding you are simply not explaining the answer to this question.

Anyway for anyone else willing to help the very simple question that remains unanswered is,

I think my belief is now that they are in fact in the cloud so ....."If they are in the cloud then why if my MAC crashes can't I simply download them again from the cloud ?" and hence it does act as some form of backup - if not why not ?

I appreciated that iCloud may not be sold as a backup device but that doesn't mean that it can't be used as a form of backup - My car isn't an ambulance but it doesn't mean I can't take someone to hospital in it

Thank you Csound1 for your time

Thanks

Darren

Apr 4, 2016 3:05 AM in response to darrenfromfakenham

Hi Darren,

You're correct that since iCloud syncs your files and photos between your Mac, the cloud, and whatever other devices you've set to sync to your Apple ID, it does work as a form of backup. If, for example, your Mac crashed, you would be able to re-download your photos and files from iCloud to a new Mac set to sync with the same Apple ID. The one helpful thing that CSound1 almost manages to communicate above, is that sync like this poses the danger of file loss - if you inadvertently delete a file on one device, as this change is synced, copies of that file may be deleted on all devices (and the cloud) and thus be lost forever. True backup like Time Machine preserves a file history and so protects you against this.

Can I back up folders / files to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.