Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run a hardware test (AHT) from an iMac/OS 10.7 w/o install discs?

Well, I've finally made the switch. 20+ year Windows designer/photographer just purchased a used 27" iMac 12, 2 (mid-2011) 3.4/i7. Just unpacked and am getting things sorted, but first I'd like to run a complete hardware test from 10.7 Lion (which came on the iMac) before I update the OS and transfer files, etc. If the iMac is defective I'll return, but it didn't come with install discs... I've tried "startup+D and startup + Option+D" with no joy -- just turns into a long, regular boot. Searched the Support site for a net-based app with no luck either. Is there any way to accomplish a thorough AHT without install discs from 10.7 Lion?

iMac, iOS 7, iMac 12,2/Mid-2011/3.4 i7

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:10 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 4:01 PM in response to wayoverbored

Thanks, BabyBoomer. The machine came to me from a broker who handles off-lease equipment from companies and for whatever reason, they don't bother with the system discs. "A logistics problem with the companies" say the seller. Talked to AppleCare and they told me there were no system discs for my iMac. It's all online apparentl. So after sifting through a lot of misinformation in old posts here in the community, I have a solution... And it's super easy:

Do this:

1) SHUT DOWN the computer (Don't RESTART... shut it down)

2) Hold down the OPTION + D keys

3) Press the Power Button (make sure to hold down the OPTION + D keys first)

4) Continue to hold down the OPTION + D keys until the system enters AHT mode

5) Let the app verify the hardware setup before initiating the test.

6) There are two testing modes. To select the "Extended Test" activate the check box below the Test button.

7) Press Test button to begin test

That's it!

Can I run a hardware test (AHT) from an iMac/OS 10.7 w/o install discs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.