Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enter passcode

My Iphone 5 will not let me enter a passcode, I can hit the home button and swipe up and down and use all the features... calculator, camera, all the controls, wifi, blutooth, newsfeeds from above, etc; but if I swipe the slide to unlock, I get all the numbers, but it won't let me type my code, it acts as if the touch screen is not working - doesn't highlight or move or anything and the screen is frozen until my minute is up and it closes again. I'm getting texts and functions continue working as the notifications are showing up, but I can't access anything beyond the passcode screen.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:21 AM

10 replies

Jul 9, 2017 11:04 AM in response to rampilot

From what you describe, your neighbor has activated Voice Over. This is evidenced by the fact that it is repeating the numbers. You have to either attempt to turn off Voice Over, or use it to unlock the device and then turn it off. See this section of the iPhone User Guide for assistance. You need to tap once to find the key your are on, then then tap again to initiate the button. This is an Accessibility function. http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/#/iph3e2e33be

May 5, 2015 11:01 AM in response to JMacGregorNY

All right, if a restart doesn't fix it, then have you tried the reset? I'm not sure when your last backup is, but that is the normal step 3 in user troubleshooting, if the reset does not work. You can restore the device to your last backup. Did you have any type of profile on the phone? It seems unusual that you are able to swipe the phone, and also swipe it to turn off, but the passcode keypad is not working. Try the reset.

May 5, 2015 10:38 AM in response to JMacGregorNY

Performing a restore and losing your data is an option. It may not be something you would like but it is an option. When a problem arises, is not the time to attempt a backup. Backups should be performed regularly.

the problem here is that it is most likely software related because the screen works to access the top and bottom of the screen. If you were somehow able to back the phone up it would bring the software issue right back to the phone. This is why iCloud backups are important. They can save only the important data that you need (contacts and Photos)

Jul 8, 2017 11:51 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Last night this happened to our neighbor and her new iPhone SE. She had just spent days inputting her entire address book and didn't think of backing up immediately. So she has a frozen passcode keypad. We spend an hour doing resets and restarts but to no avail. The voice is still working giving time and battery information. But the keypad for unlocking won't accept numbers but it does repeat the number have pushed! Yet the buttons don't light and the indicator balls don't fill. I am really hoping there is someway to retain the address book after all the work and time. Phone is new. Thanks.

May 5, 2015 10:28 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I've restarted it 4 times, it restarts like normal, comes to the swipe to unlock, I do that and it won't use the passcode... when I connect to itunes it says, swipe and enter passcode... so I can't access that. Since 2007, this is my first problem with any of my iphones and its the day before I'm suppose to be getting my iphone 6. Not being able to backup and losing data is not an option.

May 5, 2015 11:17 AM in response to JMacGregorNY

If the reset did not work and you are unable to restore the device, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple store to have the device looked at. You could also try this support document regarding touchscreen issues if you like before the Genius Bar appointment. If the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond to touch - Apple Support

Can't enter passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.