Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whatsapp voicemail spam - kicking myself????

Hi,

I'm kicking myself over this because I had heard before that WhatsApp voicemail is just a hoax with malware, but I very distracted at the time and my first thought was of a friend aboard who I haven't spoken to in a while.

So I opened the email and clicked on "play". I shut down down the webpage that cmd up straight away - I don't click on anything and cleared my history immediately, along with "Cookies and other website data".

I read that just clicking play has caused gmail accounts to send out spam fro peoples accounts, but my gmail isn't showing any sent messages.

Is there anyway to tell if my computer or email accounts are affected?

Is there any precautions I should take?

Thank you.

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 4:19 PM

So far, Mac malware is only installed when you give it permission to install by giving your password. Don't give your password if you don't know what's installing.

Spamming from your email account is done at the server (not on your Mac). One thing you can do is change your email password.

3 replies

whatsapp voicemail spam - kicking myself????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.