Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem switching from iPhoto to Photos - library on external drive

Hi,

I tried to get into iPhotos today to find the application disappeared along with my entire photo collection!

My iPhoto Library is on an external drive. When switching to Photos it says: "Photos was unable to make a copy of your library before preparing it. Photos does not have the necessary permissions...".

The support page tells me what to do if iPhoto Library is in the default location but mine isn't.

Please can somebody tell me what I need to do?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 11:38 AM

6 replies

May 6, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

The external drive is a Lacie 2TB P9223 connected by USB 3. It has been working fine until the change to Photos.

When I try launching iPhoto it says: "In order to open “iPhoto”, you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store." ...but when I visit the App store to get the update it says the item is not available.

Ben

May 6, 2015 1:13 PM in response to BPJV

I just saw this note in response to a similar question. If correct we may need to use just the photo app which does not seem as robust as the old iPhoto. DJOMTK

D.CohenMay 6, 2015 9:23 AM Re: iPhoto is completely different today...
Re: iPhoto is completely different today...in response to StudioBeaz

Have you updated OS X to Yosemite? If so, note that Apple released a replacement for iPhoto.

iPhoto and Aperture are by default not available for Yosemite users. Instead of these two apps, Apple has released new Photos for OS X app, which is a replacement. One possible way to use iPhoto, is to downgrade your operating system.

If you previously purchased iPhoto, it should be in your App Store Purchases list. If you don’t see it. it may be under Hidden Purchases. You can try downloading it from there. That's another way out.

If you haven’t erased your hard drive when upgrading to OS X 10.10.3, iPhoto may be in your Applications folder.

Problem switching from iPhoto to Photos - library on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.