Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupt iPhoto Library? iPhoto starts but no photos appear from the library.?

When I open iPhoto 7.1.5 (378) on my iMac (mid 2007) OSX 10.7.5, the photos are not visible. I know they are still on the Mac, the iPhoto library file is in my Pictures folder and is 40GB in size.

They were there one day, gone the next. I am trying to remember exactly when and whether it ties in with an update.

I upgraded to 10.7.5 ages ago, definitely had photos since then.

I do have time machine back ups.

I have tried opening iPhoto with Cmd Alt and rebuilding the database - nothing changes - still no photos

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 5, 2015 11:17 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 12:32 PM in response to SunshineOnARainyDay

Try these in order - from best option on down...

1. Do you have an up-to-date back up? If so, try copy the library6.iphoto file from the back up to the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) allowing it to overwrite the damaged file.

2. Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

3. If neither of these work then you'll need to create and populate a new library.

To create and populate a new iPhoto 08 library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Events and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

In the iPhoto Preferences -> Events Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual Event Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.

May 5, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you Terence. I am grateful for your help.

I have investigated your options with the results as follows:

1. I have searched for the library6.iphoto file in my timemachine back ups but ... nothing. Also nothing at all via spotlight, which is relevant to option 3

2. The link to the iPhoto Library Manager works and the software looks great but needs iPhoto 8.1.2, mine is 7.1.5 :-/

3. It looks as if the first two options are out. I am nervous about losing my photos so before I launch into option 3: What I don't understand is why I if I enter time machine I can see all the photos (as at today latest backup) in iPhoto and I am not sure why I can't restore it from there.

The photos are there but only via time machine.

Do I have iPhoto 08? - my version is 7.1.5 - so will this work ?

I don't mind losing data as long as I can get the original photos back.

Did I let the library database get too large?

Kind regards

Corrupt iPhoto Library? iPhoto starts but no photos appear from the library.?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.