Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to best avoid data loss with multible external hard drives while editing in FCPX

Hi all

I'm about to start editing a television series and want to make sure I don't risc losing data. For the project I've purchased three Lacie d2, usb 3, 4TB disc. (Similar to this, but with usb 3 connection only. http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFY82ZM/A/lacie-4tb-d2-thunderbolt-2-usb-30?fn ode=5f)

I'll be editing in FCPX on one disc and want the other two to back-up what I'm editing on disc 1.

I've researched a bit, but can't decide. What should I choose? Raid1 or clone back-up? Or another option. What's the best alternative and how do I go about setting it up?

What are pros and cons? Will the Raid1 set-up make my system run slower as it has to update continuesly?

I hope you experts can help.

All the best

Lasse

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 16 G RAM

Posted on May 5, 2015 11:23 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 12:36 PM in response to Lassedk

I hope you get some more specific advice. I'm just here to tell you what most media people fail to consider when they think about data loss.

Backing up is is a job. Maintaining backups is a bigger job. You calculate what you cannot afford to lose and provide protection for those assets.

It's your media that you cannot afford to lose. The FCP Libraries can be set to backup with something as simple as Time Machine or you can use a program that is as complex as you want. You really only need two copies of your media, one local and one in a remote location. The local backup is not really protection, it's just a copy. If your office burns or is burglarized, your local backup is just as totally gone as your computer and all your other valuables. It's the offsite backup that will allow you get back into business. Your offsite backup must include a copy of your main computer's drive or drives, too, so all you have to do is load it up and get back to editing and, hopefully, sending out your invoices.

May 5, 2015 2:12 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

In addition to this from David, RAID is not a backup it doesn't protect you against accidental deletion or file corruption, RAID only protects you against drive failure.

I would contemplate using the 2 disks as clones of the media & project files with a rotation that takes one offsite at the end of the day (or whatever time period you can stand). Make sure you have a plan for switching disks should something happen (it's worth testing before you begin a critical project).

May 5, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

(it's worth testing before you begin a critical project).

Amen. Having a backup plan is useless if the backup is unavailable or you don't know how to rebuild your system from the backup media. Part of putting this failsafe plan into effect is to do what's known as a Black Start. You take your backup media and see if you can figure out how to get back up.

Sorry not be able to offer you any better advice on procedures or software you'll want or need. It's different for everyone and every situation. But backing up a business's assets for continued operation after a disaster isn't something you must invent; it's been done millions of times.

How to best avoid data loss with multible external hard drives while editing in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.