Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virgin Mobile Iphone 5 A1429

Will Virgin Mobile unlock the Iphone 5 A1429 I bought from them, and if so, will it work on another network? From what I can find, it probably won't work on Sprint or Verizon (CDMA) but maybe it will work on T-Mobile (GSM). How can I find out for sure before asking to have it unlocked? I found on the T-Mobile website that if it was unlocked and (1) supports 1700 MHZ and 2100 MHZ, and (2) has the right sized nano SIM card slot (.48" x .35"), that it may work. I think both of those are the case but am not absolutely sure. I'd really like to know for sure what network(s) I could switch to before asking to have the phone unlocked. My Virgin Mobile call reception has been awful, particularly at home, since I first bought the phone a year and a half ago. You can't beat the monthly fee of $35, but dropped calls for a year and half means I'm about at the end of my rope. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, A1429

Posted on May 5, 2015 12:14 PM

5 replies

May 5, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the really quick reply, but it obviously isn't what I wanted to hear!

I thought all phones had to be unlocked now if requested? I went round and round with Virgin Mobile a few months after buying the phone from them, but with the new law I thought they had to.

So much for their advertised "no contract" plan. I think it's false advertising to sell me a phone that I can't use with anybody else but them, while trying to sell me on the fact that I am not under contract, which means I should be able to change providers whenever I want to. I paid a lot of money for that phone, which is basically next to useless at home, and not much better when I'm out. If I'd had any idea I wouldn't be able to use it with a different provider, I never would have bought it in the first place. At least not from them.

Thanks again.

May 5, 2015 12:40 PM in response to dmansf

As far as I am aware they purchase their iPhones hardware locked to their network. Providers need not unlock their devices unless they will be used Internationally. They don't have to unlock them for use with another US provider as long as they are still under contract. At least that's what I understand. You got a great price for service so, I don't understand why you are complaining. I use VM, too, and haven't any problem with them so far. Before purchasing from them I inquired about unlocking the phone. I knew what I was getting into. You should have asked then you would have made a different decision. But then you also would have paid a lot more for your service. It is a trade-off.

May 5, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Kappy

Um, if I were getting acceptable service I wouldn't be unhappy would I?

It's nice that you get good service. If I could make/receive calls at home I wouldn't have anything to complain about, now would I? Would you still be happy with them if you couldn't make or receive calls without 75% of them disconnecting? That is my experience at home.

And I am not under contract. Never was. My point is that they deceived me, telling me I was not under contract, but the effect is that I am actually tied to their service only. So what do the words "no contract" mean if you can't use the phone anywhere else? Those words are meaningless and deceptive.

And I'm happy for you that you knew the right questions to ask before you bought the phone. That doesn't help me much though does it?

May 5, 2015 1:58 PM in response to dmansf

Well, I don't know your situation. I don't get good service in my home either because I'm located at the periphery of the nearest cell towers.

Yes, all that does help you, just now with your current situation. But it will help when you move to a new provider. Then you'll know what to ask about and get better informed before making the decision. We all learn by the mistakes, and education is usually expensive.

Virgin Mobile Iphone 5 A1429

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.