Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to back up iTunes to an external hard drive. It only backs up music purchased. I have spent hours importing cds and making playlists which do not copy. How do I get ALL my playlists on to the external hard drive? Please help!!

Hello - I am trying to back up my I Tunes library on to an external hard drive (WD Passport). However, only music purchased from the ITunes store is copied. I have spent hours importing CDs and making playlists - none of which transfer. How do I get my complete (all playlists irrespective of source) copied on to the external hard drive? Please help!!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 5, 2015 12:21 PM

18 replies

May 5, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Kappy

Have tried all this!! Not all my music that is on my MAC hard drive shows up in ITunes folder i.e.. imported CDs and playlists. The music that does show up, is listed only by artists name, therefore when I drag and drop the folder on to the external hard drive, only get the same. I am so frustrated and do thank you for your time.

May 5, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Dpgade

well first we have to find the physical place of your music, besides purchased ones

Copying music to and keeping the iTunes Media folder organized

You can select these options on the Advanced pane of iTunes preferences:

• "Keep iTunes Media folder organized." Learn more about how iTunes 9 and later organizes your media.
  • "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." Select this option to store all of your media files in the iTunes Media folder. Since they're all in one location, you can easily transfer or back up your media.
    When you import media into iTunes from a CD, it's automatically added to your iTunes Media folder. If you add media to iTunes another way (choosing "Add to library" from the File menu or by dragging an MP3 file into iTunes), it might not be added to your iTunes Media folder.
    User uploaded file

Locating the file for an item you see in iTunes

If you're not sure where iTunes stores your content, iTunes will show you what it knows about your media in the Get Info window. To access the Get Info window, select a file in iTunes and then choose File > Get Info.
User uploaded file

You can also right-click on the content and choose Show in Finder (Mac) or Show in Windows Explorer (Windows).

A remote file, such as one from iTunes in the Cloud, won't show a path, but will show information such as the name of the remote path.
User uploaded file

I am trying to back up iTunes to an external hard drive. It only backs up music purchased. I have spent hours importing cds and making playlists which do not copy. How do I get ALL my playlists on to the external hard drive? Please help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.