Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone will charge but won't connect with iTunes or iPhoto

I have an iPhone 5 and a Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

When I connect my phone to my mac, the phone makes a noise to say it's connected and begins charging, and asks me if I trust the computer. However, when I load iTunes on the computer, nothing happens to say the phone has connected. When I open iPhoto, the phone flashes up in the sidebar as if it's about to begin importing photos, but then disappears, then re-appears, and so on, but won't actually connect.

I have tried:

• Switching off and on again on both devices
  • Using both USB ports
  • Using a different iPhone cable
  • Updating my computer software
  • Logging into my computer in safe mode
  • Getting rid of any security software or add-ons on my laptop

Nothing I could find on any help forums has worked. I bought my iPhone on eBay as a refurbished model. Could that have something to do with the problem?

I don't have any Apple care cover, and I can't download any of my photos or put any music onto my phone so it's a real problem.

Any advice you could offer would be gratefully received.

Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:11 PM

4 replies

May 5, 2015 5:33 PM in response to Sailingthrough

This is interesting. What you could try to do next is put the device in recovery mode and attempt to restore the device. You may not want to do it because it is no guarantee that will force the device to become visible in iTunes and if it doesn't than there would not be a way to get your device out of recovery mode. It's your call to make if you want to try it or not.

iPhone will charge but won't connect with iTunes or iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.