Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro wouldn't let me log in unless I switch user!

I have an early 2011 model (10.9.5) macbook pro 15". Today all of a sudden when I turned on my laptop, I no longer could see my account profile that I always log into. Then had to restart, Command+R and then learned that the profile is not even listed there. I login as root, created a new account using the same account name as the one mysteriously disappeared, selected the "choose the existing /User folder" option and everything went back to normal.

1) Now when I reboot my machine and get to the login screen there will be two boxes, one for my username and one for my password. I put my username and password and it logs in just fine.

2) But when I press ctrl+shift+eject to lock my screen, when I want to log back in it shows me my username (already on there with the user image so I cannot change that) and there is a box for the password. The problem is when I put my password in that box, the box starts shaking which means the password is incorrect. I can no longer login unless I press the "switch user" button at the bottom of the screen and then get those two empty login boxes as explained in step 1 above and type my username and password. That is the only way I can login!

Does anyone have the same problem? Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 5, 2015 12:43 PM

1 reply

May 6, 2015 11:14 AM in response to tezarin

No one has experienced the same issue?

Today I logged in as root (System Administrator) and then locked my screen. When I came back I typed the password and it let me in just fine. Tried the same thing with my other username (the one I have problem with), and no luck. When it wakes up from the sleep mode it doesn't accept the correct password. That leaves me no choice but to switch user where I can get both username and password fields, enter my username and password and then log in.

Macbook Pro wouldn't let me log in unless I switch user!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.