Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant connect dell U2715H monitor to macbook pro mid 2009

bought a new dell u2715h monitor to connect to Macbook pro mid 2009. Mini displayport to Displayport with dell supplied cable will not work. Dell in power save mode and system prefs cant detect external monitor. Im crying - why does everything have to be so hard??

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:12 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2015 1:02 PM in response to miller11178

Hello miller11178,

If you want are having issues with your monitor not working with your MacBook Pro as an extended or mirrored desktop, then take a look at the article below to get you started with getting it working for you. I would try a different mini display cable if you can get access to one.

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

Regards,

-Norm G.

Sep 9, 2015 2:59 PM in response to miller11178

Hey Miller! I hope you fixed your problem by now, but for the others who (like me) found this question because they are having the same issue here is how I just solved it:

There are two things you need to make sure are correct in order for it to work.

1) There are multiple spots on the back of the Dell monitor in which the mDP cord to display port fits. If you have it in the wrong one all you will see is the 'power saving' screen of death. The correct one is labeled 'DPin'. It looks like there are 2 of them, the one i'm using (which works) is the one directly to the right of HDMI 2.

2) After it is connected to the proper port, use the buttons on the front to select the input source as 'DP' which is the one on the top. I kept having issues because i assumed it was supposed to use 'mDP' (3rd from the top) but that wont work.

Hope this works for you as well! 😀

Cant connect dell U2715H monitor to macbook pro mid 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.