Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install Os X after erasing HD. Help.

hi guys. I need help

first of all , I decided to have a clean install of my Os to get rid of all the unnecessary junk as it has start to slow down my laptop.

it was running os Maverick before this all happened.

I Have also create a bootable usb just incase.

so this is what happened.

i restarted my computer and went into Disk Utility to erase my HD, hoping to reinstall Os X via the usb.

it all went well until an error came up and said unable to create recovery disk and left me with a non functional laptop...

ive tried recovering using time machine but it always tells me that an error as occur as it is unable to create a recovery disk.

please advice , thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on May 5, 2015 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 4:08 PM

Try this:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot Using OPTION key:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the

"OPTION" key.

3. Release the key when the boot manager appears.

4. Select the USB flash drive's icon.

5. Click on the arrow button below the icon.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your hard drive (the un-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 4:08 PM in response to J.Chew

Try this:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot Using OPTION key:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the

"OPTION" key.

3. Release the key when the boot manager appears.

4. Select the USB flash drive's icon.

5. Click on the arrow button below the icon.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your hard drive (the un-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Unable to install Os X after erasing HD. Help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.