Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems setting up Gmail IMAP Account

Setting up a 2nd Gmail account and can't get it to log in and recognize my user name & password. Settings are same for 1st account, though using the 2nd email and password. I can log into the 2nd Gmail through a browser no problem, but no matter what I do, I can't get Mail to recognize user name and password as valid.

anyone else have this issue and is there a workaround?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 256GB SSD, 32GB Ram

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:21 PM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 4:41 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi, its off when I looked today. Its not recognizing the username/password and asks to verify if its correct.

I noticed access for less secure apps was turned off, so when I turned it on, I solved my own problem, as it works now!

What is not working on either account is the SMTP outgoing email, all are off line. Can anyone help with that?

May 5, 2015 4:44 PM in response to Chris Winkler1

Under Windows in the Menu bar select Connection doctor. You will see green to indicate a connection and red to show there is a problem. Except for iCloud & Exchange accounts you'll see two entries for each account 1) receiving and 2) SMTP for sending.

Generally, if you see red, Mail has lost the password.

EDIT SMTP SETTINGS

In Accounts window > Outgoing Mail Server SMTP: select to Edit SMTP Server list... from popup.

Select account in the list.(It's not uncommon to find extra SMTP servers listed. When you remove account, Mail does not delete the smtp info. You might need to do some clean up in the list to remove the extras.)

Under Advanced Tab:

Apple defaults to the default ports (25,465, 587) but some servers prefer a custom port. Check to see what port they recommend. Gmail for example likes 465, Outlook.com 587.

Verify if your server require SSL.

User Name. Enter full email address eg. UserName@gmail.com

Add password if it is blank.(If you have two step authentication setup, you'll need to get an app specific password more info)

http://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Open Connection Doctor under Window in the Menu bar.

Do you see green light now for your account SMTP?

Problems setting up Gmail IMAP Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.