Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing to a SSD for my mid 2010 iMac 27"

OK I'm going to replace the old SATA drive on my mid 2010 27" iMac with a SSD.

Which SSD would you recommend I buy (I want to install Yosemite)? 1 TB capacity?

Assuming the SSD doesn't come with MacOS installed and I don't have a MacOS CD to install on the new SSD; how do I install Mac OS once I've installed the new SSD?

Can I get hold of a CD or burn a CD with Yosemite from which I can boot the new SSD?

Thanks folks.

iMac, iOS 7.0.6, i5 27inch

Posted on May 5, 2015 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:19 PM

Who is installing the SSD for you? I hope you know that Apple will not. Based on your questions I am not sure you know what is involved. I suggest you visit OWC and look at the installation tutorials they provide. They also have tools you will need and also sell SSDs. Nowadays, a 1 TB SSD will run around $500.00, plus/minus. They will not come formatted nor with OS X installed. You will need a Snow Leopard installer disc such as the one that came with your computer. You may be able to order replacements from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers..

Once you have installed Snow Leopard and can access the App Store, then you can download and install Yosemite.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Mark Geraghty

Who is installing the SSD for you? I hope you know that Apple will not. Based on your questions I am not sure you know what is involved. I suggest you visit OWC and look at the installation tutorials they provide. They also have tools you will need and also sell SSDs. Nowadays, a 1 TB SSD will run around $500.00, plus/minus. They will not come formatted nor with OS X installed. You will need a Snow Leopard installer disc such as the one that came with your computer. You may be able to order replacements from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers..

Once you have installed Snow Leopard and can access the App Store, then you can download and install Yosemite.

May 5, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Mark Geraghty

If you are actually able to install the SSD, you could also try this method to get your OS onto it: order an external enclosure from OWC along with your SSD. Install the new SSD into that temporarily, plug it into the iMac with the USB cable, use Disk Utility to format it properly, and make a bootable clone of your current system/contents onto the new SSD (using CarbonCopyCloner). Then take the SSD back out of the enclosure, and install it into your iMac (after you uninstall the current HD). You will then be able to boot immediately with all your files intact; you could then install your old HD into the external enclosure and have an instant backup.

I followed this procedure when I upgrade my MBP's HD to an SSD and it worked perfectly.

Changing to a SSD for my mid 2010 iMac 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.