Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make a backup of my operating system to reinstall on a replacement hard drive?

I have a 2009 aluminum unibody MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The hard drive is failing and I have not been able to do a Time Machine backup in about 6 weeks. I have individually copied all my important data files and archived my calendar, contacts and email mailboxes to external drives. Now, I want to install a new hard drive, restore my last successful backup, then supplement it with more recent data from my external drives.

Once the new drive is installed, I presumably need the operating system to accomplish the rest. How can I copy the current OS, along with all necessary files, to an external drive, then reinstall it onto the new drive? Although I purchased my MacBook Pro new from an Apple store, it did NOT come with CDs or DVDs of the OS.

Thanks in advance.

Everett

MacBook Pro, Other OS, Upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:35 PM

3 replies

How can I make a backup of my operating system to reinstall on a replacement hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.