Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro 13" Processor Question

Is it worth paying almost $200 to go from the 2.9 i5 to the 3.1 i7 chip in the 13" 2015 MacBook Pro? Do they both hyper-thread now?

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:38 PM

2 replies

May 5, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Rdbesq

They both will hyperthread. It probably is not worth it from a performance standpoint to purchase the faster CPU. The times that there would be a difference will be few and far between unless you are in a vocational situation using CPU intensive applications.

For $200 I would rather get a couple of HDDs for backups.

But if the bank account is overflowing, why not? 😁

Ciao.

May 5, 2015 4:10 PM in response to Rdbesq

The useful and free Mactracker database has Geekbench scores that allow comparing processors. This is what they show for the 13-inch 2015 model:

User uploaded file

Not a lot of difference--less that 4 percent between the 3.1 and the 2.9.

You can get MacTracker at http://www.mactracker.ca/ . It is also on teh App Store but I've had a few issues witht he Apps Store version aht I don;t get when I get it from teh developer's site that I linked.

New MacBook Pro 13" Processor Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.