Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock out of contract iphone5

I bought an iphone 5 through ebay after i checked black lists. Meanwhile the phone became eligible for unlock. I asked AT&T for the unlock, sent them IMEI and more info about the phone, and they sent me this email:

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:

For iOS 7 or later devices, please turn off Find My iPhone before unlocking your device.

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

2. Ensure the original SIM card that came with this device is inserted in your iPhone.

3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.

5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Since i bought it from US and im in Portugal of course i don't have any AT&T SIM card so i can't do the step nº 2 and since i'm not AT&T costumer i can't register on their website and try to speak with somebody (for free) using chat or something.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:41 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2015 4:23 PM in response to nuno_time

There is nothing you can do. AT&T's rules and requirements for unlocking are quite clear and explicit. If you do not meet those requirements, they will not provision an unlock for your iPhone. End of discussion. I would try and get a refund for it through eBay, although unless it was sold as unlocked, you may run into issues there as well.

only AT&T can process an unlock request for that phone, and they won't do so for someone who is not a current or former AT&T customer.

Unlock out of contract iphone5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.