Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Yosemite on a iMac - Late 2009 - MB950LL/A ??

I have an Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 21.5-Inch Late 2009 - MB950LL/A* (1GB hard drive and 12Gb RAM) I feel like when I installed Lion 10.7.5 it it slowed down a tiny bit. I am thinking of installing Yosemite.

- Will Yosemite it improve performance? Or slow me down?

- Am I better off installing Mountain Lion?

Thanx!

Posted on May 5, 2015 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2015 7:23 AM

Yes, you can install Yosemite. It will not improve performance. Mountain Lion would be a better choice as far as performance is concerned, but then that limits what you can do that requires OS X be upgraded past Mountain Lion. More specifically, you would be better off with Snow Leopard if performance is your main concern. In fact if you want both performance and Yosemite together, then you need a new computer designed to provide both.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2015 7:23 AM in response to SLNY

Yes, you can install Yosemite. It will not improve performance. Mountain Lion would be a better choice as far as performance is concerned, but then that limits what you can do that requires OS X be upgraded past Mountain Lion. More specifically, you would be better off with Snow Leopard if performance is your main concern. In fact if you want both performance and Yosemite together, then you need a new computer designed to provide both.

May 5, 2015 4:48 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy. As long as it doesn't slow me down (more). A year ago I installed mavericks on my White MacBook7,1 (Core 2 Duo 2.4 13" Mid-2010 - MC516LL/A) and it slowed down by like 40%. Everything was slow. I had to remove it and install Lion. And it does very well on Lion. I just put Snow Leopard back into it so I can use some old apps. RIght now, I'm trying to upgrade the iMac as much as I can so I can use new apps. So, trying to decide Mountain Lion or Yosemite.

May 5, 2015 4:59 PM in response to SLNY

I hate to tell you this, but Lion is slower than Mountain Lion and later. If you computer slowed down by 40% then the problem was not OS X. Mavericks was faster than Lion as was Mountain Lion. You need to look deeper for the cause of such a dramatic slowdown, because it isn't due to OS X.

May 7, 2015 7:22 AM in response to SLNY

Before embarking on a major OS upgrade, it would be wise, advisable and very prudent if you have a good,working backup of your current system to an external connected and Mac formatted Flash drive OR externally connected USB, Thunderbolt or FireWire 800, Mac formatted hard drive. Then, use either OS X Time Machine app to backup your entire system to the external drive OR purchase, install and use a data cloning app, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, to make an exact and bootable copy (clone) of your entire Mac's internal hard drive. This step is really needed in case something goes wrong with the install of the new OS or you simply do not like the new OS, you have a very easy way/procedure to return your Mac to its former working state.

Then, determine if your Mac meets ALL minimum system install requirements.

To install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.9 Mavericks (free upgrade, but currently unavailable) or OS X 10.10 Yosemite (currently available free upgrade) you need one of these Macs:

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion purchased emailed download code here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),

MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed

2 GB or more of memory (I strongly advise, at least, 4 GBs of RAM or more

8 GB or more of available space

Your year and model IMac can take a total of 16 GBs of RAM max.

If you have any commercial antivirus installed and/or hard drive cleaning apps installed on your Mac, like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, TuneUpMyMac, MacCleanse, etc. now would be a good time to completely uninstall these apps by doing a Google search to learn how to properly uninstall these types of apps.

These types of apps will only cause your Mac issues later after the install of the new OS X version and you will have to completely uninstall these types of apps later.

Once you have determined all of this, you should be able to find the latest versions of OS X by clicking on the Mac App Store icon in the OS X Dock and then login to the Mac App Store using your Apple ID and password and if you purchased a download code, input that code.

You can then begin the download and installation process of installing the newer versions of OS X from the Mac App Store.

Good Luck!

May 5, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Kappy

Well, after installing Mavericks I found out (somewhere on here) that the White MacBook7,1 (Core 2 Duo 2.4 13" Mid-2010) can not handle Mavericks. And its only good up to Lion. Once it went back to Lion, it was perfect! But with Mavericks its was a mess.

That is why I am trying to make sure that the iMac (Core 2 Duo" 3.06 21.5-Inch Late 2009) can handle Yosemite.

Can I install Yosemite on a iMac - Late 2009 - MB950LL/A ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.