Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a USB-B to USB-A Adaptor work with an iPad cable?

I am considering buying an audio interface that has a USB-B connection (i.e. the square USB connector). I am planning to connect it to my iPad using an adaptor which has a male USB-B connection on one end, and a female USB-A connection on the other. I would then plug my regular cable in to the female USB-A end and plug into the iPad as normal.

Will this setup will work or do I need to go out and buy the iPad Camera Connection Kit and a USB-B to USB-A cable?

Posted on May 5, 2015 4:38 PM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 5:33 PM in response to funkywrench

I honestly doubt it'll work no matter how you do it. The camera connection kit is meant only to import properly named video/photo files. There is zero support for exporting and while there may be some articles out there listing things people plugged into an iPad that worked, a 2011 software update reduced the amount of power allocated to the 30 pin port, rendering many of those things non-functional.

Are you trying for audio in or audio out?

I'd stick with the headphone jack for your audio needs. it accepts both regular headphones and headphones with a microphone so it should handle in and out.

May 5, 2015 6:56 PM in response to Skydiver119

There are actually a number of audio interfaces that use either a lightning port or 30-pin port to connect direct to the interface and pass audio in and out.

The one that I am looking at however is a guitar amp with a USB-B port (Laney IRT Studio). It appears that it would work with the USB-camera adaptor because the manual states:

"Also compatible with Mac & iPad 1-3 via camera USB adaptor, iPad 4 & iPad Mini via Lightning-USB camera adaptor cable"

It also says:

"To run into iPad or iPad mini connect via a Camera USB adaptor, PC/MAC connects via standard A-B USB cable, for use with the likes of Garage Band, Audacity, Pro Tools and similar. It should be noted that the audio output of an iPad or iPad mini is disengaged and returned via the USB."

Assuming that the unit will work as intended with a USB-camera cable, I'd like to know if I can achieve the same thing with the USB-B to USB-A adaptor, as this will save me buying the USB-camera cable.

I would imagine that the USB-B connection on the amp/interface won't require bus power since the amp needs to be plugged into the mains electricity to work but I could be wrong.

Will a USB-B to USB-A Adaptor work with an iPad cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.