Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages occasionally not going to iPhone, but do go to my Mac

Me, my dad, my sister, and two friends of mine have all experienced this. We all have iPhones and Macs setup to receive iMessages. We experience this with other iPhone people. It's very random, like less than 1% of iMessages.

My friend/dad/sister will call and say "hey why didn't you return my text?" I check and I didn't get it. I then go to my computer, open Messages, wait for it to sync, and the missing iMessage appears there. It never shows up on my phone.

We've all done hard resets, turned iMessages off and back on, and no change. Mine is a 6+, setup as new. Two are regular 6s. The other are both 5s I believe.

This is either an Apple server side iMessages bug, where it is only delivering to a computer and not an iPhone, or an iPhone bug where it doesn't get some messages sometimes.

I thought about turning off text forwarding, and signing all of my Macs out of iMessages. That way if it's an issue of it being unable to deliver to multiple destinations, this may solve the issue. however, fi it's an iPhone bug, then I'll never get these messages since iMessages won't be enabled on my computer.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 5, 2015 5:24 PM

3 replies

May 7, 2015 2:24 PM in response to EvoXOhio

Hi EvoXOhio,

That is strange issues, especially if it is happening everyone once and awhile. Good thinking on the troubleshooting that you may already be doing. The first thing I would check is to see if you have access to all of your messages from all the different address that you can have with iMessage. For instance. You may have your phone number as well as your Apple ID on your Mac, but on your iPhone you only get the messages that go to your iPhone. I would also have you/friend/dad/sister to delete the conversation threads you already have and start a new one to make sure you are sending the messages to the right Apple ID or phone number. Take a look at the article below for more information.

What is a firmware password and how do I set one up?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349

Take care,

-Norm G.

May 7, 2015 4:06 PM in response to norm123

thanks, but unfortunately I've tried all that. I ensured that my iPhone and macs all have imessages setup for both phone number and email address. My one friend that it keeps happening with, she doesn't even know my email address and I'm sure she's sending the iMessage to my phone number. We will be in the middle of a conversation and I won't get a reply or two, and then later on I start getting new ones.

We have both deleted the conversation threads on our phones and Macs.

Sep 9, 2015 6:54 PM in response to EvoXOhio

I get the same occasional missed message issue. I have noticed that when it happens my phone is usually out of service for some reason, either a dead zone or on a subway or something like that, which means it might have something to do with an iMessage getting dropped because of the network. Not sure what kind of fix there would be for that..

iMessages occasionally not going to iPhone, but do go to my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.