Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do videos in photos app come up as iPhone "other"

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.3. I have 5.3 GBs of iPhone "Other" on my device. I have gone through all the normal fixes to reduce the amount, including clearing out messages, browser cache etc and have wiped and restored the phone multiple times. My question is in the Photos application does the "videos" Album of which i have a lot, show up at "Other" on iPhone when its plugged into iTunes? Or is this a normal amount of "Other" to have on the device?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on May 5, 2015 4:42 PM

3 replies

May 7, 2015 2:03 PM in response to donald.w.allen

Hi donald.w.allen,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you have an unusual amount of “other” space taken up on your iPhone. To answer your question about what is stored in “other”, please read over the first attached article.

See how much storage you've used on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

View storage usage for your iOS device in iTunes

When you connect your device and select it in iTunes, you'll see your usage by content type:

• Audio: Songs, audio podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, and ringtones
  • Video: Movies, music videos, and TV shows
  • Photos: Camera Roll contents, Photo Stream, and Photo Library
  • Apps: Installed apps
  • Books: iBooks books and PDF files
  • Documents & Data: App content such as contacts, calendars, messages, emails, and their attachments, Safari Offline Reading List, and files that you've created in your apps
  • Other: Settings, Siri voices, and other system data

One step I would recommend to help try and resolve this situation for you would be to back up your iPhone to iTunes and then restore from that same backup. For information on this process, please refer to the next attached articles.

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Best regards,

Joe

May 7, 2015 4:40 PM in response to AppleJoe

Hey Joe,

Thanks for replying to my question. When the phone is connected to iTunes it shows 1.89 GB of photos and 5.31 GB of "Other". When i look at Settings-General-Usage on the iPhone itself it shows 6 GB of in the Photo Library. And when i log into settings on the iCloud website it shows 5.72 GB of "photos and videos". The amount of space taken up in iPhone storage and iCloud storage should be roughly the same because i have my photo library in the cloud and also have originals saved on the device. So my question is basically is that 5.3 GB of Other my videos or do i really have 5GB of stuff in other? I have restored the phone multiple times and the 5 GB of other comes back everytime i connect to iTunes and sync. I even did a total clean wipe of the phone and started over as a new device, not restoring from backup, and the 5GB other comes back.

Thanks,

Don

Jul 12, 2015 10:54 AM in response to donald.w.allen

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I found it when trying to figure out why I had so much "Other" when looking at iTunes. Tried restore, etc. After adding up the length of the videos I shot with my 6 Plus and left in the Photos app, I found that, assuming 130mb per minutes, the total was almost identical to the "Other file" Also, the number of photos in the iTunes summary graph matches the number of photos minus the videos I shot. So the most of the "other" must be videos shot on the iPhone. Just wish I had known this before I spent all the time to do a restore, only to end up with the same size Other again . . .

do videos in photos app come up as iPhone "other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.