Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what settings are required to connect tc to charter cable modem?

I'm running Yosemite and have the latest Time Capsule. Moving from AT&T U-Verse to Charter for faster internet access, but I cannot get my TC to connect to the internet when connected to the Cisco DPC3216 modem. My TC is setup in Bridge mode which works fine for AT&T. When connected to the Charter modem, Airport reports no Internet connection.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 6:17 PM

16 replies

May 5, 2015 6:35 PM in response to Alte Weisen

Whenever you make a change in the modem, or in service providers, you need to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then set it up again to work correctly with the new product or new provider.

For starters, Bridge Mode on the TC was the correct setting to use for the ATT modem/router, but it is not the correct setting for the Cisco modem.

Unfortunately, you can't just change a setting or two on the TC and expect things to work correctly. They won't.

Post back if you need some help. Are you really running OS X (10.6.3) as you indicate? If not, please update with the correct info.

The Cisco DPC3216 that you have looks like this on the back, correct?

User uploaded file

May 5, 2015 6:36 PM in response to Alte Weisen

You have swapped from a gateway.. to a modem..

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/pdf/cisco_model_DPC3216_digital_voice_adapter. pdf

So the TC has to be in router mode..

Please reset the TC to factory and redo the setup.. no files are lost doing this.

Plug from the Cisco modem single ethernet outlet.. to the WAN port of the TC.

The airport utility setup wizard should auto pick up and select correct settings.

You might need to power off the modem for a few minutes.. if the first time through it doesn't pick up the public IP.

Beaten by Bob.. teach me for looking up the manual.

May 5, 2015 7:53 PM in response to Alte Weisen

Here is the general outline of what I would recommend. Details are available if you need them.

Power off the modem completely and leave it off for at least 30 minutes.

With the TC powered on, perform a Hard Reset to get the TC back to factory default settings, then power off the TC

After the modem has been powered off 30 minutes, connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the TC

Power up the modem and let it run for at least 10 minutes

Power up the TC and let it run a few minutes

Run the setup wizard and follow the prompts until completion. You can use the same name for the TC that you used before if you wish, and the same wireless network name and password.

Once the TC is up and running, you can use AirPort Utility on your Mac to go back in and take a look at the settings, if you are curious. The new setting(s) that you see will be the correct settings.

May 6, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Okay, I've tried what you suggested and I a wireless was created, but doesn't have internet connection. However I do have an internet connection with a wired connection to the TC. The WiFi portion for is blocked from accessing the internet. The WiFi status shows that I am connected to the TC.

Bob Timmons wrote:

Here is the general outline of what I would recommend. Details are available if you need them.

Power off the modem completely and leave it off for at least 30 minutes.

With the TC powered on, perform a Hard Reset to get the TC back to factory default settings, then power off the TC

After the modem has been powered off 30 minutes, connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the TC

Power up the modem and let it run for at least 10 minutes

Power up the TC and let it run a few minutes

Run the setup wizard and follow the prompts until completion. You can use the same name for the TC that you used before if you wish, and the same wireless network name and password.

Once the TC is up and running, you can use AirPort Utility on your Mac to go back in and take a look at the settings, if you are curious. The new setting(s) that you see will be the correct settings.

May 6, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Alte Weisen

Unfortunately, the modem is not resetting fully, so you will need to try a longer power down period to give it chance to forget it's old settings and get a new, fresh connection from your Internet Service Provider.

At times, I've had to power off my modem for up to 2 hours to get it to fully reset, so power off the modem as long as possible and then try things again.

Instead of a Hard Reset on the Time Capsule, perform a full factory default reset as follows:

Power off the Time Capsule for minute

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule first, and keep holding it in for another 7-8 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the TC. (This is not easy, as you almost have to have 3 hands. It will help if you lay the Time Capsule down on a desk so that the back panel is facing upwards.)

Release the reset button after the hold period and allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

May 6, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

Okay I have determined that my TC is broadcasting internet access, as I have two iPhones, an iPad and my old laptop that have connected to my new wireless network, so the problem is with my current laptop. What would prevent my current laptop to not connect to the internet by WiFi? The new network shows up on the list of available networks, but it will not connect as the other devices have.

I noticed that under Network - Wi-Fi it has a dialog under the new network that states, Wi-Fi does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet. How is this so when my other devices are able to connect to this network and to the internet?

Thanks

May 6, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Alte Weisen

I'm going to ask LaPastenague......our forum bug exterminator.....to take another look at this thread when he can to offer some suggestions.

In the meantime, there are some things can you can check and/or adjust.

Click on System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Sharing

Make sure that the name of your Mac appears correctly here, and there is not a (2), (3), (4), etc., after the name. If there is, edit the name so that it appears correctly and close Sharing

While still in System Preferences.....

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left panel to highlight it, then click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK, then click Apply in the next window

Now highlight Ethernet, and click Advanced

Click TCP/IP

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK, then click Apply in the next window

Now go back and click on WiFi again to highlight, and click Advanced

Look at the list of networks to which your Mac has connected and click to highlight the name of any networks that you no longer need

Click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the list to delete that network

Do the same for other networks that you no longer need or want

Close out of System Preferences

Restart the laptop and try to connect again to the wireless network

what settings are required to connect tc to charter cable modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.