Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can a podcast have a track like a music mp3

Hi everyone,

I would like to section a podcast like a music MP3 album has song tracks. So that the listener can click the "next" button to go to the next section in my podcast like you would click to go to the next song on an MP3 album.

Is this possible?

Thanks for listening.

david forjan

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 8:56 AM

If you mean having 'chapters' within a single file, MP3 cannot do that. M4a (AAC) can but it's not easy to set up. MP3 albums have separate MP3 tracks for each section.

In a podcast each episode would be a single MP3 file - iTunes automatically goes on to the next one when one is finished. Again, an AAC file can have chapters but not many programs allow you to make that.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 8:56 AM in response to forjan

If you mean having 'chapters' within a single file, MP3 cannot do that. M4a (AAC) can but it's not easy to set up. MP3 albums have separate MP3 tracks for each section.

In a podcast each episode would be a single MP3 file - iTunes automatically goes on to the next one when one is finished. Again, an AAC file can have chapters but not many programs allow you to make that.

May 6, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for the reply Roger,

And it helped a lot. But... within the context of an "album" on the hard drive, being played by iPhone or MacBook, are the different songs also then different files linked together into one CD/Album? But then again, there still is a higher level grouping called the album, and that's the level I equate to a podcast.

Here's my scenario. I write and host and produce a hour-long news podcast, just news about animals, called The Animal News Hour. I have on average 23 stories I report on each week. I would like for my listeners to be able to skip from one news report to the next, in case they're not interested in that particular news item. Just like I may not want to listen to Grand Funk's Mean Mistreater and skip to the next song, a listener might not want to hear the report about NMFS helping Whales, and skip to the next news report.

Seems like this would be possible by now in this already-long evolution of podcasts. But hey, what do I know?

Keep in mind that your explanation has already helped my a lot in my understanding of my dilemma.

Thanks,

David Forjan

May 6, 2015 9:17 AM in response to forjan

There isn't really any correlation between the sort of music album you describe and a podcast. MP3 files cannot have internal markers.

The only way to do what you want is to create your podcast using an M4a file with internal chapter markers. However even so it's not going to work in iTunes. I just checked with my own podcast, which has chapters, and you can't skip on to the next chapter even though a skip button is provided (when you command-click the small image at the top of the window). I don't know about any other players.

can a podcast have a track like a music mp3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.