Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't login cuz new keyboard not paired

I just bought a new wireless keyboard for my 2009 iMac. (I have Mavericks). Since I always log out when I leave my home, I was not able to pair my new keyboard. Really Apple? Did Apple not think that this scenario would not be a common thing and hence not make it impossible to pair your keyboard to your mac unless you are already logged in.???? Do I really have to buy a wired keyboard or go begging to borrow someone's wired keyboard so I can pair my new keyboard to my iMac?

iMac

Posted on May 5, 2015 5:41 PM

4 replies

May 5, 2015 9:43 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I know why I have the problem. If I had known that I shouldn't have logged out after my wireless keyboard died, I would not be having a problem. Being logged out is keeping me from pairing. My beef with Apple is that since the average user does not know that they must stay logged in in order to pair with a new wireless Bluetooth keyboard, it leaves them open to the situation I have which is being logged out when I needed to stay logged in, in order to access preferences, and in order for the keyboard to pair with my iMac. I need a way to log back in WITHOUT having to go and find or buy a wired keyboard to get myself logged back into my iMac. I was hoping to find a way to log back into my iMac without having to buy or borrow a wired keyboard.

Since my mouse was working fine, I logged out as a matter of course, habit. as per usual when I go to bed or leave my apartment.

I hear a lot of people have problems with Bluetooth. I know now that I probably did too on occasion when my keyboard was not responding. It always returned to working order in a short time so I never made the connection with Bluetooth being the problem.

Thanks for trying but until I get logged back into my iMac, I can't pair with my new keyboard.. I have no problem following instructions once I am able to access them on a logged in computer.

If someone can tell me how to log in to an iMac without a keyboard......now that is information that will help me solve my problem. Maybe there is no way to do that.....I don't know, that's why I'm asking here.

can't login cuz new keyboard not paired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.