Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto will not open with new Yosemite 10.10.3 It says I need to upgrade iPhoto but I can't even find it in the App store to upgrade. I can't get my pictures!! Help

I recently updated to Yosemite 10.10.3. I have a iMac late 2011. I keep my photos on an external hard drive to safe space for the iMacs hard drive. The external is always connected to the iMac. Since I upgraded to Yosemite I have been unable to open iPhoto. it says I need to upgrade to the newest version of iPhoto that is compatible with Yosemite but when I try to get it I can't find it in the App Store it says "the item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store."

I am thoroughly confused

Posted on May 5, 2015 7:22 PM

6 replies

May 7, 2015 6:47 PM in response to BoatCaptain75

I don't know the format. I had it connected to my iMac with the USB cord. I stored iPhoto on the external hard drive to free up room on the iMacs hard drive. when I upgrade to Yosemite and the photo 1.0 app it doesn't seem able to access the photos on the external hard drive. My best guess is that the the new Photo 1.0 can't communicate with the older iPhoto on the external drive??

May 7, 2015 9:15 PM in response to BoatCaptain75

Unfortunately, when Apple prompted people like you and me to upgrade to 10.10.3 they didn't mention that the upgrade would disable iPhoto. Yes, there are some who still have Photos and iPhoto running concurrently, but the suggested workarounds do not work for everyone. (And since when did Apple customers have to depend on workarounds to make their Macs functional?) An Apple rep told me on the phone that it was never their intent that iPhoto would be disabled by the 10.10.3 update, but it happened to some of us, and Apple claims to be truly sorry. There are contributors to this forum who will suggest solutions, and those solutions solve the problem for some, but not all of us affected by this update.

I ask that anyone who claims to be an expert on the Mac check to see that they have the total picture before giving any advice on this forum.

May 7, 2015 9:53 PM in response to BoatCaptain75

If you read the 10.10.3 release notes where it went through the introduction of Photos, it stated there that iPhoto 9.6.1 was required. Therefore, unfortunately, you have discovered that 'being behind a few versions' IS a reason for it not to work. I still don't know why you cannot do what most others have done and trashed your old iPhoto and reinstalled it from Purchases.

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Cheers

Pete

iphoto will not open with new Yosemite 10.10.3 It says I need to upgrade iPhoto but I can't even find it in the App store to upgrade. I can't get my pictures!! Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.