Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get the red X and www.apple.com/support/ipod at the bottom when I turn on my ipod. I've tried pushing the select and menu buttons for 12 seconds. Any ideas?

Need Help.

iPod 5th Generation (Late 2006), Windows 7

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:28 PM

1 reply

May 6, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Gordie0814

I had this exact same error on my ipod classic 4th generation 20gig model that's a little older than yours, around 2004. This same error code kept me from being able to enjoy my Ipod for nearly a full 10 years, being a poor man and not having the money to pay for repair service. This last month I called Apple to ask for help to get it fixed and was directed to the store who told me they do not support my model anymore and they no longer work on mine. I did some research and found out that to fix the error I needed to take my Ipod apart, unhook the hard drive for about 30 seconds to a minute, plug the hard drive back in, and re-assemble. I did so and it worked perfectly again after 10 years of waiting.

** I realize you have a different model than I do, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the exact same problem with the same solution. I love my ipod and I am glad I can now use it again after all these years. My model is your predecessor, but that's what happened to me with the same error, and my solution.

I get the red X and www.apple.com/support/ipod at the bottom when I turn on my ipod. I've tried pushing the select and menu buttons for 12 seconds. Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.