Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail is deleting emails from my Trash

When I delete an email from my inbox, it goes to Trash and I can see it there but after a month or so, it disappears.

Right now, they only go back to April 6th. I know I didn't physically delete them. It clearly is only keeping one months worth of deleted emails.

I want to keep all of my Trash emails until I delete them manually. I have the account settings for Deleted Messages set to NEVER.

What gives?

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 5, 2015 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 5:04 PM

This is a terrible default setting because regardless of how many times I set it to Never delete mail out of my Trash folder, Mac Mail eventually switches back to 30 days and I lose email out of my Trash folder.

How can I force Mac Mail to NEVER delete email in my Trash folder or any other IMAP folder? Having the default state to be one that is permanently destructive isn't user friendly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2017 5:04 PM in response to brenden dv

This is a terrible default setting because regardless of how many times I set it to Never delete mail out of my Trash folder, Mac Mail eventually switches back to 30 days and I lose email out of my Trash folder.

How can I force Mac Mail to NEVER delete email in my Trash folder or any other IMAP folder? Having the default state to be one that is permanently destructive isn't user friendly.

May 7, 2015 2:23 PM in response to ScubaJenn

Hi ScubaJenn,

If your deleted mails in the Trash folder are being deleted after a certain amount of time, regardless of how you set your Deleted Messages settings, it may be due to the server-side settings set by your email service provider, as noted in this article:

If you have an Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) account whose server is set up to delete older messages, messages will be deleted regardless of how you set the option to permanently erase messages in Mail preferences.

Lion Mail: Delete messages

Regards,

- Brenden

May 14, 2015 2:51 PM in response to ScubaJenn

Hi ScubaJenn,

If you are using iCloud for your mail and would like to retain "deleted" messages past 30 days, you may find this portion of the following article helpful:

Change where deleted messages are stored

By default, iCloud Mail moves messages to the Trash when you delete them, and messages in the Trash are erased permanently when they’re 30 days old. If you don’t want your messages to be automatically erased after 30 days, you can have iCloud Mail move them to another folder.

1. Choose Preferences from the Action pop-up menu User uploaded file in the sidebar.

2. In the General pane, select “Move deleted messages to,” choose another folder from the menu, then click Done.

iCloud: Delete email

Regards,

- Brenden

Mac mail is deleting emails from my Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.