Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions on Keyboard

When using the keyboard with, for example, my calendar there is a grey series of three boxes immediately above the keyboard (I don't know what this row of boxes is called). When typing a word, some suggestions appear in those boxes. The one on the top left however is different, in that it has "speech marks" around it- unlike the other two. Can anyone suggest what this is all about (I don't even know what it's called to Google or otherwise look it up). It's obviously about a spell check of some sort, but what is different about the box on the left with the word in speech marks!😕

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on May 5, 2015 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 1:39 PM

I had to turn on predictive text to find out. The box on the left with the word in quotes if you want to print that word simply tap the space bar instead of the word. The other two words you need to tap the word.

20 replies

May 6, 2015 4:01 PM in response to bobseufert

Thanks guys. Not sure where I'm up to with this. I checked and I already DID have predictive text turned on after all. Don't know how that happened..(story of my life that..) Can you also please tell me where to find the globe key?

I think this is all indicative of my experience with the ipad generally- using things like predictive text presumes a lot- like you "intuitively" know firstly, what it's called (I now do) and secondly, how to control it (which I didn't until you told me).

It would also be helpful to have a user-friendly explanation of this process which is obviously an integral part of using the ipad!! (Mr. Apple??)

So far, not even knowing what it was called, I haven't found those instructions/ explanations anywhere!

May 6, 2015 4:18 PM in response to johnhb2

You might want to go here and take a look at downloading the User Manual. Apple - Support - Manuals If you do not have more than one keyboard installed on the iPad, you probably won't see the globe key, but it would be just to the left of the space bar. You could also take a look at this link, which is another way to access the User Guide, and it might help you with that. http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

May 6, 2015 4:26 PM in response to bobseufert

Hi again Bob- and Chris.

Nope- nothing anything like a white line, and when I select the smiley face, I get a whole selection of smiley faces..! I guess that means I DON'T have

more than one keyboard installed on the iPad- there's nothing to the left of the space bar apart from three keys- the ".?123" key, a "smiley face" key and the "microphone key".

I'll try downloading the User Manual and see if that explains all this..

Suggestions on Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.