Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space in Hard Disk of Iniciation

OS is showing me that I need to free space in my disk , so I tried to see what were taking more space. Using Finder I could see that I have 73GB taken by Apps, but when I try to see what Apps is taking the space I can see only 11GB. Do you have some idea about what I can do to see if I have some hidden files or something ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:02 PM

2 replies

May 5, 2015 10:57 PM in response to MarciaSGS

Hi MarciaSGS,

First of all if you're trying to free up lots of disk space I strongly recommend the 'DiskDoctor' App. It's available in the App store and has thousands of great reviews; it's even recommended by Apple! DiskDoctor will hunt down and allow you delete old Application Caches and Logs, which can get very large, as well as allowing you to delete Browser Data, Downloads, Mail Downloads, Large Files and Trash all at the click of a button. You'll be surprised how much space you will free.

Now, have you tried using Spotlight to search for your larger files? If not, try the following trick I found inan articlea while back, chances are you may come across something you didn't spot in finder:

Open a Finder window and hit Command-F on your keyboard to bring up the window-based Spotlight function.

Now, click on the drop-down menu, where it says Kind and choose Other.

A big pane will slide down, giving you a metric ton of options. Type “Size” into the search box at the top of this window, and then choose File Size for your filter type. Click on the checkbox to the right if you want to be able to select it from the original Kind drop down menu in the future.

Now, click on the drop down menu that says “is equal to” and change that to “is greater than”, because I assume you're looking for big files at this point.

Finally type a number into the field to the right of that, changing the unit drop down menu to GB. SO if you're hunting for files larger than 2GB, type 2 and away you go.

Good luck 🙂

Space in Hard Disk of Iniciation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.