Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto is slow & won't import photos from camera

I updated the OS yesterday (OS X Yosemite 10.10.3) and since then, iPhoto is very slow. It will not load my photos that are currently on the computer nor will it import photos from my camera. I have run my camera battery down twice, now, waiting on it to try to do the import. I have had to force close iPhotos each time because it just sits there. Any suggestions?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 7:54 PM

6 replies

May 6, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Janadew

It will not load my photos that are currently on the computer nor will it import photos from my camera.

Can you describe what you mean by this? Which photos currently on the computer? Where are these photos located?

Also what happens when you connect your camera to your Mac? What happens? Can you see your camera and its photos with Image Capture?

Does the camera have a removable memory card? If so remove it and use the card reader in the iMac to upload the photos to either Photos or to a folder on the Desktop and from there to Photos.

What camera, made and model, do you have?

User uploaded file

May 6, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Old Toad

Last night, I could not get it to load any photos that were on my computer, prior to the update. Now - they are there...

When I connect my camera (Nikon D90) to the Mac via the cable (that I've always used), it does come up with an import tab and shows the camera & starts to load photos from the card in the camera. It never finishes... but hangs. I thought maybe the new app was just taking more time, so I left it connected & up to give it more time, but it didn't do anything else. No photos ever imported, nor did the thumbnails finish loading to see the photos on the card.

I did just transfer some photos from the card directly from the card reader. It was faster, but missed a ton of photos. I think the times I've tried to import, it thought it actually imported when it didn't. I will try to figure out which ones I need to import.

iPhoto is slow & won't import photos from camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.