Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which iMac should I get? i5 or i7?

I'm about to get a new 21.5" iMac to replace my Mac Mini that went "fft" suddenly last Christmas. I currently have an 11" MBA 1.3GHz 4GB.

I'm torn between two configurations: i5 2.7GHz or i7 3.1GHz. Both have 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD. The i7 config is about $500 more. I plan to use it for apps like iMovie for editing 1080p videos. The question is the i7 model have any significant performance gains over the i5 model in terms of apps like iMovie? Is it worth the extra $500?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 11-inch, Mid 2013

Posted on May 5, 2015 9:29 PM

19 replies

May 5, 2015 10:37 PM in response to fatboy_nf

fatboy_nf wrote:

I forgot that the i5 has integrated graphics and the i7 has an nVidia GPU. Does that make a difference?

Yes,

It makes a difference.

Integrated GPU use the physical RAM installed in a Mac for its VRAM.

Meaning some portion of that 16 GBs of RAM will be used for GPU/video processing.

A dedicated GPU has is own RAM ( called Video RAM or VRAM) built into its GPU chip and doesn't steal VRAM from the Mac's primary processing RAM modules.

A dedicated GPU is better than an Integrated one for many video related tasks.

May 6, 2015 8:48 AM in response to fatboy_nf

Any video manipulation (effects), other than just splicing bits together, is typically

a major CPU/core hog. Most will use up as many cores as are available

running at full tilt.

With that said, it is all a matter of how patient a person you are. You can gain

a bit more working with an SSD as opposed to to an HDD or an external Tunderbolt

RAID array as well.

May 7, 2015 8:20 AM in response to analeticia

I bought the late 2013 iMac 5k, i paid 250.00 to upgrade to 32gb ram, also i spent 600.00 on 2 OWC 960gb SSD i mounted after removing the fusion drive, i spent 310.00 on the i7 Intel processor from the i5, when i added the i7 with multi threading, it made the iMac perfect and the main key to access full power out of my iMac, now i know they solider all these components into the mac so i7! if you can go with at least the most RAM you can but the i7 is beyond worth it.🙂

Which iMac should I get? i5 or i7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.