Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have lost surround sound from Apple TV - just have pro logic.

hi. My Apple TV (running 6.2.1 software) has stopped outputting digital surround sound on things like netflix. All I get now is pro logic. I've tried both restoring and resetting it to no avail. I've also swopped the optical cable over to a bluRay player and that worked fine, so it isn't the cable or my Yamaha receiver. the applets is connected to my TV by hdmi. The Apple TV is connected to my router by ethernet cable. Any ideas?

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 7:08 AM

Have you tried adjusting the "Audio Out" and the "Dolby Digital" settings in settings > audio and video? It may be worth trying several combinations of these settings, although typically it is the "Dolby Digital" setting that causes most problems for users.

If you are using a sound system/receiver, make sure that you have correctly mapped the input port on your sound system to the output, if you are unsure about how to do this, refer to the manual that came with your sound system.

Have you tried playing various content sources (i.e. podcasts, music, iTunes Store video, other video etc), do you have the same problem with all types of content? If you use optical you might also check that you can see a red light at the end of your optical audio cable. Is your optical audio cable plugged straight into your sound system, or does it go through a switch or other device?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 7:08 AM in response to geejaysdee

Have you tried adjusting the "Audio Out" and the "Dolby Digital" settings in settings > audio and video? It may be worth trying several combinations of these settings, although typically it is the "Dolby Digital" setting that causes most problems for users.

If you are using a sound system/receiver, make sure that you have correctly mapped the input port on your sound system to the output, if you are unsure about how to do this, refer to the manual that came with your sound system.

Have you tried playing various content sources (i.e. podcasts, music, iTunes Store video, other video etc), do you have the same problem with all types of content? If you use optical you might also check that you can see a red light at the end of your optical audio cable. Is your optical audio cable plugged straight into your sound system, or does it go through a switch or other device?

I have lost surround sound from Apple TV - just have pro logic.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.