Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emailing photos via Photos

I have a mid '09 MacBook Pro. It runs on Yosemite 10.10.3. It has a new hard drive, about two weeks old. After loading the new drive from my Seagate external HD I found someone slipped Photos onto my machine without notice or consent. I knew it was coming, but for 10 years iPhoto had been a solid dependable system for managing my 15K photos. After a very busy weekend, family birthday, wedding and BBQ there were photos I want to share. I went to Apple Support and found instructions to mail my photos. Four steps. After selecting 5 photos, Step 1, I proceed to Step 2, I click "File" and "Share" Share shows me a list of options on a window titled "Extensions" The Share Menu includes a list with names I've heard of but don't know about like Twitter and Linked In, and some others like Tencent Weibo and Tuduo. Small boxes are in front of each of the listed. Some have white check marks in blue boxes, the names of these I've heard of but have no need to use. Some have empty boxes, these I've never heard of, and the third group has gray checks in white boxes. This group includes Mail, with the Microsoft yellow "O" symbol for Outlook. With a little experimentation I see that the unchecked boxes and the blue boxes are animated, but not those with gray checks in white boxes. So this is where I'm stopped. Apple's Support pages fail to include troubleshooting steps for users to take when a particular Apple creation doesn't cooperate. I normally use Outlook, and previously Entourage for every day email. My Mail account is dedicated to a few narrow uses. I would prefer to use Entourage. I don't wish to open my Mail account to general, unsecure use. Do you have a fix for the unavailable email option? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Photos 1.zero

Posted on May 6, 2015 12:19 AM

8 replies

May 6, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

An attempt at sarcasm failed. I don't believe there was A person slipping anything. I do believe our rights to when and where we choose or not choose to allow or permit others access to our machines and the information in them MUST have informed consent. I was not asked nor did I consent. Further on I made a mistake in saying my preference for emailing photos was Entourage. I meant Outlook. By giving consent in January to have Yosemite as my operating system, for compatibility it was necessary to utilize Office for Mac 2011, and in doing so Entourage went away, and I have used Outlook as my everyday email. Still hope you or someone that can address the main issue, how to email photos from Photos.

May 6, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Kerry Fan

I do believe our rights to when and where we choose or not choose to allow or permit others access to our machines and the information in them MUST have informed consent.

Who updated your machine to 10.10.3?

The possibilities are:

1. You.

2. Someone hired by you or working as your agent.

3. It was updated automatically because you chose that setting.

Those are the only three possibilities. In the case of 1 and 3 you are responsible. In the case of 2, as that person is working as your agent, you are responsible. So, instead of blathering about your rights, what about exercising your responsibilities?

Use an app that integrates with Photos for your email needs, or one with a media browser.

May 6, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

I can't argue with you. All I know was that upon starting up after the hard drive replacement my Dock had Photos and did not have iPhoto. My consent to 10.10.3 was not done with the 1st start after HD replacement. I did not see, nor did I look extensively for details about this or other upgrades. Typically they are announced for security fixes, so I give my consent. In my 7th decade I am absent education on the language and workings of all things computer. These machines did not exist when I was in school. Nor am I in a community where friends are involved in the operation of their computers and smaller similar machines. I tried the NCMUG many years back but found their events aimed for those with extensive experience through work/hobby passions. I like Apple equipment, reliable operation over time. Similarly with our vehicles, I don't know how to repair them, but I drive them, and I want reliable transportation so I follow maintenance schedules. That strategy has worked for decades. I have tried the Apple community with mixed success. I've heard from other responders this morning. I've been told that Office for Mac 2011 is going away relatively quickly and I should look for other ways to attach photos to email. The suggestions offered, are well meaning, but are nothing I can work with today. Research will be necessary. I guess a significant part of my frustration is the pace of change is so rapid, and aimed at a younger market that my needs for continuation and stability of product lines don't necessarily enhance the bottom line as much as a new watch.

May 6, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Kerry Fan

Kerry Fan wrote:

I can't argue with you. All I know was that upon starting up after the hard drive replacement my Dock had Photos and did not have iPhoto.

You do realize that the dock contains shortcuts, aliases not apps. iPhoto is where it always was, in Applications, only the shortcut on the dock changed.

I've been told that Office for Mac 2011 is going away relatively quickly and I should look for other ways to attach photos to email.

Outlook 2016 is out (preview) and in Microsofts usual fashion it barely supports any Apple services, I would look for a way out of MS Office. Mail will send your photos while you look for a replacement.

Emailing photos via Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.