Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty trash

Hi,

I have loads of files in my Trash, When i want to delete a specific file it only gives me the option to empty all trash and permanently delete files..

However there are files in there that i have not put in there, like updates to Microsoft.

So my question is, are the files in the Trash still being used and if i empty the trash like you do on NON apple mac, is this going to cause a problem?

Biffa01

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 11:52 PM

Any software that puts files into the trash has to be prepared for the user to empty it whenever he or she sees fit to empty it. If Microsoft installers put updates in the trash, they should already have used them to update the live copy. Apple software will sometimes put the previous version (as of an iOS app) in the trash. Like the Recycle Bin in a certain other operating system, the idea of the trash is to give you the opportunity to snatch a file back if you need to do so.

In the rare case that a file in the trash is still in use, the system will let you know.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 11:52 PM in response to Biffa01

Any software that puts files into the trash has to be prepared for the user to empty it whenever he or she sees fit to empty it. If Microsoft installers put updates in the trash, they should already have used them to update the live copy. Apple software will sometimes put the previous version (as of an iOS app) in the trash. Like the Recycle Bin in a certain other operating system, the idea of the trash is to give you the opportunity to snatch a file back if you need to do so.

In the rare case that a file in the trash is still in use, the system will let you know.

Empty trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.