Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (early 2008) RAM upgrade question

Hello Everyone,

i wonder if somebody will have answer to this. I recently upgraded my iMac early 2008 with 8gb of Ram. My Windows Vista operating via boot camp works after this upgrade flawlessly and shows 8gb of ram in use. My Mac OS Yosemite 10.10.3 and 10.10.4 beta doesnt work after upgrade stopping at Apple logo. Please advise why Vista works and Yosemite doesn't And what can be done to make Apple OS work like Vista does Tommy

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:45 AM

7 replies

May 6, 2015 7:55 AM in response to John Galt

I would agree with this however as I wrote above Windows Vista operates without any issues on the same iMac and the same hardware. Hence my iMac accepts new memory however it looks like the Apple software environment does not. I need to understand why my iMac works like a dream when using Windows Vista with 8GB RAM while it cannot operate when using Yosemite 10.3 and 10.4 (I checked both in 8GB RAM environment).

May 6, 2015 8:36 AM in response to tosta1

tosta1 wrote:

This equation is rather obvious. Unfortunately it does not answer my question which is: what is different in those two operating systems that one accepts 8gb ram and the other one doesnt.

They are 2 different operating systems, it would be easier to say what is NOT different about them.

You've had good advice, take it or not.

May 6, 2015 8:56 AM in response to tosta1

Your iMac's hardware is limited to 6 GB installed RAM. A 2009 iMac can address 8 GB.

... what is different in those two operating systems that one accepts 8gb ram and the other one doesnt.

Operating systems? Pretty much everything. OS X can address 18 exabytes of RAM (for 64 bit apps). I have no idea how Windows memory management works; you would have to ask Microsoft.

iMac (early 2008) RAM upgrade question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.