Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i5 vs i7 on MacBook Pro 13"

Hello, my work is paying for any laptop up to $4,000, therefore money is not a constraint. I was wondering what your take is between the i5 model or the i7 model? I heard that the i7 is noisier and has worse battery life.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 6, 2015 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2015 1:04 AM

Hi dippy....!!

I would rather recommend you to go with the i5 processor than the i7.

Basically, you won’t notice any difference in the i5 and i7 processor in the Macbook pro. The i7 processor only does its magic trick when you are doing multi tasking and you want to run all those graphic intensive applications and processes all at the same time buttery smooth without choking up your macbook.

Also, note that an i7 processor will generate more heat to keep itself running more efficiently which in turn will trigger the fans high and reduce the battery charge. It is certainly a bit noisier than the i5 processor though but I won’t say that it will affect the overall battery life adversely. If you are this kind of user than the i7 is the way to go or else stick to the i5 processor and some your money.

Note that most users will be very well satisfied with the i5 processor even while doing graphic intensive work like "Adobe Cloud Suite editing products", provided they don’t run dozens of graphic intensive programmes simultaneously....... which may choke up the processor.

However, if your are kind of demanding power user then I would recommend you to go with the top of the line 15 Macbook pro with the nvidia secrete graphics....http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGXC2LL/A&step=config

You can use a cooling pad when resting it on your lap to avoid the heat burns caused due to heat generated from the i7 processor during graphic intensive tasks.

With around $4000 budget if you can afford to work on a desktop than a laptop, I would only recommend you Mac pro as the ultimate machine. You will never compromise on power with it. Just a suggestion though.

Hope this helps.....

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2015 1:04 AM in response to dippypants

Hi dippy....!!

I would rather recommend you to go with the i5 processor than the i7.

Basically, you won’t notice any difference in the i5 and i7 processor in the Macbook pro. The i7 processor only does its magic trick when you are doing multi tasking and you want to run all those graphic intensive applications and processes all at the same time buttery smooth without choking up your macbook.

Also, note that an i7 processor will generate more heat to keep itself running more efficiently which in turn will trigger the fans high and reduce the battery charge. It is certainly a bit noisier than the i5 processor though but I won’t say that it will affect the overall battery life adversely. If you are this kind of user than the i7 is the way to go or else stick to the i5 processor and some your money.

Note that most users will be very well satisfied with the i5 processor even while doing graphic intensive work like "Adobe Cloud Suite editing products", provided they don’t run dozens of graphic intensive programmes simultaneously....... which may choke up the processor.

However, if your are kind of demanding power user then I would recommend you to go with the top of the line 15 Macbook pro with the nvidia secrete graphics....http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGXC2LL/A&step=config

You can use a cooling pad when resting it on your lap to avoid the heat burns caused due to heat generated from the i7 processor during graphic intensive tasks.

With around $4000 budget if you can afford to work on a desktop than a laptop, I would only recommend you Mac pro as the ultimate machine. You will never compromise on power with it. Just a suggestion though.

Hope this helps.....

May 7, 2015 1:04 AM in response to dippypants

If you are going to design and editing the I7 would do better, battery life on each would be fine and noise would be good but the I7s fan will run a bit louder due to the I7 running a bit hotter that the I5, but its not loud as an desktop fan would run.

But for normal day use the I5 would be better to use but its always nice to have a I7 for that extra power, but the turbo boost on the I5 would also be a powerful CPU ( turboboost kicks in automatically )

But good luck.

i5 vs i7 on MacBook Pro 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.