Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GIMPHOTO PROBLEM

My Device: Mac Book Air

My Update: OSX Yosemite

My Problem App: Gimphoto

More info:

Gimp is a wonderful image editor, but i always wanted more. I found out about gimphoto, which has more plugins and those things, so i tried downloading/opening it, but a window popped up with 'get x11' on it, so i got x11. Its this weird thing that's like terminal, right? I COMPLETELY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CODE ANYWHERE!!! I am running CRAYSAY.

PLEASE help me!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 6, 2015 2:18 AM

6 replies

May 6, 2015 2:24 AM in response to mlee3388

OOf... I just read the other questions/answers about gimp and gimphoto. Seems like everyone is supposed to have x11 already on their mac, but i dont and i had to download it. is that abnormal in the first place?

AND! How did i get gimp if gimphoto doesnt work? I got gimp perfectly fine and downloaded! How come gimphoto cant be downloaded perfectly fine?

May 7, 2015 3:56 AM in response to mlee3388

Gimp is available as a Cocoa application, and does not need X11. Gimp Photo probably hasn't been rewritten as a Cocoa application, and therefore requires the X11 installation. You should have installed the latest version of Xquartz, as you are on Yosemite. Once installed XQuartz will appear in the Dock's Launchpad as an X11 icon. Click this.

When XQuartz starts up, it will launch an Xterm(inal) as part of that process. You need not use the Xterm. Instead, find your Gimp Photo application icon and double-click on it to launch. It will look for X11 presence, realize that XQuartz is running, and then the Gimp Photo application (should) open after it takes its sweet time loading. You may have to right-click on this application icon, and choose open the first time you run it, as Apple will want to verify this application developer. When you are done, quit Gimp Photo, and then Quit XQuartz.

Jul 20, 2015 2:05 PM in response to mlee3388

GIMPhoto shows its last package date of August 2011. And although they make brush stroke comments such as Snow Leopard or later, and Mountain Lion and later, there is simply no reassurance that they have tested this successfully on Mavericks and Yosemite. Likely, it is incompatible. If it can't run with X11 already running, then it is likely toast, and you are done with it.

There is a native OS X version (v2.8.14) of GIMP that is available from here, and works on Mavericks and Yosemite. I just launched it on 10.10.4 and it works. I also have The Book of GIMP, a 656 page treatment by Lecarme and Delvare. $49.95USD. There is also Affinity Photo in the OS X App Store, which is superlative.

GIMPHOTO PROBLEM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.